Please help re-imagine this patch of foliage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved in to a new house and would like to start tinkering with the front and rear gardens.

In the corner of the drive, we have a patch of various low-level plants that are green most of the year but occasionally flower different colours. This is the main view from our kitchen window and - although it is pleasant enough - it isn't very exciting for 95% of the year. This patch is in shade a lot of the time from the hedgerow to the rear, which we'd like to keep as it separates us from the road.

One thing we wondered about is planting lots of fox gloves but we are novices and any advice from experienced hands would be very welcome.

Attached are the main views of this patch as well as some close-ups of the plants already there.

Attachments

• CloseUp4.JPG
    CloseUp4.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 122
  • ViewFromDoor.JPG
    ViewFromDoor.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 122
  • CloseUp1.JPG
    CloseUp1.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 130
  • CloseUp3.JPG
    CloseUp3.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 111
  • ViewFromWindow.JPG
    ViewFromWindow.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 125
  • CloseUp2.JPG
    CloseUp2.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you took a soil test, in the area you wanted to grow flowering plants, you would have a bigger choice of flowering shrubs, or plants. You could have your soil tested at the local University for a small price $25. That way you would know how to feed as well as what the pH of the soil is. I recommend any new homeowner to get a soil test in the beginning and the test will last for 5 years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @MonteCristo .
What a lovely neat garden !! Foxgloves would be very happy in that situation, and would seed well there. Many other plants enjoy shady places. Ferns spring to mind, and honeysuckles. There are some good colourful clematis that would happily grow there and brighten up that corner. Have fun!

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I'm not an expert, but I think it'd look great if it looked like a "wild" flower patch. I remember seeing little packets of wild flower seed mixes sold at gardening shops, that would look great and offer an ankle-to-knee high cornucopia of natural flowers of all shapes and colors... but that may be the kid who loved going to his grandparents' farm in me who's talking.

Ask a Question