Please Help! Pygmy (Robellenii) Palm Triple

Reaction score
Country
United States
Planted back in the spring, about 3 feet high and doing well...

...That is until I trimmed her fronds and discovered that one of the the three appeared to be dead :-(

I pulled all the browned leaves and the trunk appears light and shaky.

Please tell me this one will come back...

Reaction score
Country
United States
pygmy palm.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @mlm101 .. I have a feeling you`ve lost that one, and I wonder if you have overwatered it. These need regular water during hot weather, but as the autumn sets in and it cools down a bit you should only water when the ground is dry for a couple of inches down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thx. It has been extraordinarily hot (95-115) for the last 3 weeks or more. I have been hand watering every other day. Th sprinkler system only mists the plant every other day and it doesn't get direct water from that source.

Wondering how/why the two others seem to be fine...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your answer will be down under where the roots are. If you stick your finger into the ground by the plants before you water them, and can feel any moisture, leave them until it feels really dry. Don`t ever water when the sun is on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you're in SoCal you are probably not watering correctly. With our current weather you should be giving it a very thorough soaking about twice a week. Very thorough are the operative words. A simple splash with a hose is not nearly enough. on the other hand, a thorough soaking every other day is probably too much unless your soil is very sandy. As Tetters says check the soil before you water a few times and you should be able to figure out how fast it dries out and develop a schedule.

As far as why one died and the others lived, it may be down to the little one couldn't handle the competition.

Ask a Question