Please help, my new grass is yellow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the early spring, I planted new grass from seed and I watered regularly. After being away from home for a little over a week, I returned to see these yellow patches in the new grass. My lawn in general is more brown because it was a very hot those days I was gone, and there was no rain. But some of my new grass is green and other parts are yellow, which might be related to sun and shade exposure.

can someone help me save this grass?

Attachments

• DBB00688-A5BD-4193-87F9-9E39E636DCF9.jpeg
    DBB00688-A5BD-4193-87F9-9E39E636DCF9.jpeg
    563.2 KB · Views: 152
  • A5B7B586-F993-4E96-9DA1-80171E2DBBD3.jpeg
    A5B7B586-F993-4E96-9DA1-80171E2DBBD3.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 0169A5E7-D3A8-4CBE-B2AF-90F96BA56E2B.jpeg
    0169A5E7-D3A8-4CBE-B2AF-90F96BA56E2B.jpeg
    528.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 92BE8A18-2FFE-4B0A-8ECE-E5474DD25DCC.jpeg
    92BE8A18-2FFE-4B0A-8ECE-E5474DD25DCC.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 125
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What looks like happened is that the grass was not watered DEEPLY enough. Grass needs deep roots to survive hot weather. The grass grew well but that week you were away dried out the roots. New grass must be kept watered at least every other day. Once grass is well established it still must be watered at 1 to 1 1/2 inches per week and that inch of water must be at a single watering, not spread out over 2 or 3 days. What I would do is rake all that dead grass up, reseed and water properly. It looks as if the grass has runners. If you choose not to reseed, fertilize with a good organic fertilizer and keep it watered. It will, in time, grow into all those bare spots and cover them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you chuck, what’s a good estimate on how long until I’d notice if and when the fertilizer begins working? Weeks or months?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you chuck, what’s a good estimate on how long until I’d notice if and when the fertilizer begins working? Weeks or months?
Days. First your old alive grass will perk up and start sending out runners. It will be a couple of months before it fills in. If you were to rake up all the dead grass, apply molasses, reseed and fertilize probably a month if you watered properly. Proper watering is the key.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What NPK fertilizer will help the grass perk up in days?
Thank you
I never ever use chemical or synthetic fertilizers. ANY organic , OMRI rated fertilizer will make your grass rapidly perk up and start growing. If you will do what I stated in post #5 you should have a full lush lawn in about 2 months. But just fertilizing will really help what is already there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can vouch for Chuck's expertise - he coached me through my Bermuda grass lawn in Texas, and my lawn looks fabulous. It was 100% total crabgrass when we started.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never ever use chemical or synthetic fertilizers. ANY organic , OMRI rated fertilizer will make your grass rapidly perk up and start growing. If you will do what I stated in post #5 you should have a full lush lawn in about 2 months. But just fertilizing will really help what is already there.

would this be the right type to use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
would this be the right type to use?
No. Spikes are not what you want. About how many square feet is your lawn? And what is your location?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
No. Spikes are not what you want. About how many square feet is your lawn? And what is your location?

the areas that this happened to, total roughly 30 square feet. The majority of the lawn is fine. I’m in the north east with KBG, Fescue and Rye

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
the areas that this happened to, total roughly 30 square feet. The majority of the lawn is fine. I’m in the north east with KBG, Fescue and Rye
KBG spreads by underground runners or stems. It is your best grass. Fescue is a bunch grass and doesn't really spread all that good. Rye is a cool season grass but being as you are in the NE it will probably do OK unless the radiant temps stay above about 95F for an extended period or if the soil temps go above about 85F. If the soil gets too hot it will kill it. I cannot tell from the pictures which grass is which.
There are two different things you can do. The easiest and cheapest, IF THE KBG ISN'T DEAD, is to fertilize with a pelleted product such as Espoma Organic Lawn Food and water it in thoroughly with molasses @ 2 OZ per gallon of water. And DEEP regular watering after.

If the KBG is dead you should rake up the dead grass so as to make for good seed to soil contact, reseed with KBG and do the steps as described above.

Ask a Question