Please help me out?

Reaction score
A neighbor gave me this plant the other day. It blooms every day, but the flowers die very fast (the next day they're dead). Here is the pic:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/317748_171665986241789_6394388_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/313843_171667332908321_508429_n.jpg

I had to paste the image links instead of the images, because I'm having a lot trouble adding pictures, for some reason the windows that usually appears when I click the image button doesn't show up anymore :( Can someone please tell me what could be wrong?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, the upload a file button is working ok for me Trellum, have you cleared cookies recently? That sometimes helps.

Reaction score
Is your hibiscus getting enough sun, and are you over watering it? Hibiscus generally love the sun, and if you are over watering it the leaves are going to turn yellow and fall off. The pot it is in shouldn't be too big, and only water when you feel that it is dry.

Do you see any black spots on it or anything like that?

Reaction score
Is your hibiscus getting enough sun, and are you over watering it? Hibiscus generally love the sun, and if you are over watering it the leaves are going to turn yellow and fall off. The pot it is in shouldn't be too big, and only water when you feel that it is dry.

Do you see any black spots on it or anything like that?

So far it's good :) No black sports or anything like that. My hibiscus is growing very well, I think. We live ina very sunny and warm place, so it's getting a lot sun, but... the flowers only last one day. Next day there are more blooming. Don't know if it's normal in a plant like this.

Reaction score
Yes Trellum is is quite normal, as Hibiscus flowers only last for 24 hours.
You mention that you live in a very sunny and warm place, so thought, it might be worth mentioning, that in hot climates and areas of prolonged sunshine, Hibiscus often prefer a little, light afternoon shade, and it may need some protection from the
winter cold, as all varieties differ in this respect.
As you plant gets older, in order to keep it bushy and flowering profusely, it is best to cut it back hard every spring.
I love Hibiscus but unfortunately can't grow them, because I'm highly allergic to every part of them.

Reaction score
Yes Trellum is is quite normal, as Hibiscus flowers only last for 24 hours.
You mention that you live in a very sunny and warm place, so thought, it might be worth mentioning, that in hot climates and areas of prolonged sunshine, Hibiscus often prefer a little, light afternoon shade, and it may need some protection from the
winter cold, as all varieties differ in this respect.
As you plant gets older, in order to keep it bushy and flowering profusely, it is best to cut it back hard every spring.
I love Hibiscus but unfortunately can't grow them, because I'm highly allergic to every part of them.

Sorry to hear that, Gata Montes! I've a couple of allergies too, right now I'm suffering from one (very mild), but now sure what's causing it.

Thanks for the useful info :) You always have something useful to add to all the conversations :) I'm just a newbie, but I aspire to become a very experienced gardener, just like you really seem to be :) You seem to be a real plant encyclopedia!!

I'm trying to take care of this amazing plant as much as I can, but I'm afraid this plant might die this winter... I'll be out of the country during this winter, and my mom couldn't care less about plants, lol. I asked her if she could cover my hibiscus, she said she'll do her best, but knows nothing about plants... so in the worst case scenario. Let's say the hibiscus die... because of the cold and so on? Would that be the end of the plant? or is there a chance it could reappear again next spring? Because when some plants die... sometimes the roots don't. Is the hibiscus one of those plants?

Reaction score
Wow, Trellum, you've almost got me blushing, with all those lovely compliments, they are graciously accepted and very many thanks. Although I would like to add, that from the few conversations that we've had, you strike me as someone who already has quite a lot of gardening experience and are far being a newbie.:)

Regarding your Hibiscus, you haven't said what type of winters you have, but no matter, as providing they are not similar to those of Northern Siberia or Alaska, your plant should be more than okay.

From your pictures, I would say that your plant is one of the hardy or semi-hardy varieties, as the Tropical varieties of Hibiscus, have slightly different leaf shapes and flowers.

The hardy and semi-hardy varieties are yes, one of those plants that the tops may die down in the Winter and re emerge in the Spring. In places where the Winters are relatively mild, these plants may well be evergreen and therefore, not die down,
but you could if you wanted to, cut them down, without doing any harm to the plant, as they would still come up, next Spring.
Hardy Hibiscus require little care over the Winter months and just for you piece of mind, can survive temperatures of well below -20.

You should hopefully be able to go away for the Winter, without worrying about your Hibiscus.
There is one tip I would add to this, whenever I have a plant that is either difficult to replace or could succumb to an untimely death in the garden, I always take tip cuttings as a safeguard, no matter what the time of year is, and keep them under cover over the colder months.:)

Reaction score
Gata Montes, you're too kind for saying I don't strike you as a newbie, I take that as a great compliment coming from someone like you! By the way, you did it again! You amazed me again with your extensive knowledge! It'd be extremely hard not to notice that :) I didn't even know there were different varieties of hibiscus!

Thanks for the info, again... I got more than I'd have ever expected! But coming from you I'm not surprised at all :p I feel better knowing I can leave this winter with almost no worries in my mind (at least not gardening related, lol). Just another question!!! I hope you don't mind I make so many questions, but I rarely get to talk with someone with as much gardening knowledge as you! The quesion is simple: How can I propagate my hibiscus? cuttings?

I ask just in case, because you never know :)

Reaction score
No I don't mind, as you've already gathered, mention plants or anything to do with them, and my enthusiasm runs riot :D

Hardy Hibiscus cuttings take very easily in warm climates, in either Spring or Autumn. Just take a cutting about 6 to 8 inches long, with at least 2 - 3 sets of leaves on the stem, place it in a pot or in the garden, but make it is a warm spot and out of direct sunlight. If done in the Autumn very little aftercare will be needed, but if done in the Spring, you may well have to keep an eye on it moisture-wise, once it starts showing signs of grow.

From experience of a warm climate, Autumn seems to be the best time to get most plants started, as the soil is still warm from the Summer and temperatures are more suitable to plant growth. This is a time, when I put seeds in and distribute all kinds of cuttings, in and around my garden. I literally just pop in a 'stick' as I call it, in the ground where I want a particular plant to grow, leave it and come Springtime, more often than not I am rewarded with a young plant.:)

Ask a Question