Please help me identify this plant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help me identify this plant? I have inherited it from my work as we are moving office and no one knows who it belongs to so it was just going to be chucked away! It's lovely so I couldn't let them do that and took it home.

I am going to repot it into a much bigger pot with more soil tomorrow. I just need to know what it is to find out the type of care it needs and if it is poisonous to cats!

Attachments

• IMG_8504.JPG
    IMG_8504.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_8505.JPG
    IMG_8505.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_8506.JPG
    IMG_8506.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 224
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
It's a Dracaena...Give it a chop-chop. Cut it up, poke a hole in that same pot with something long and hard, and stick all cut off pieces in the holes. It will root and begin to grow nicely. Keep it watered..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a Dracaena...Give it a chop-chop. Cut it up, poke a hole in that same pot with something long and hard, and stick all cut off pieces in the holes. It will root and begin to grow nicely. Keep it watered..
Thank you!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
So if you chop the long stems into sections like about a foot each and stick them in the ground not only will they root and begin to grow but the stem that you leave of the original plant will sprout new shoots also.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B
So if you chop the long stems into sections like about a foot each and stick them in the ground not only will they root and begin to grow but the stem that you leave of the original plant will sprout new shoots also.
Thats fantastic, thanks so much! I hadn't a clue you could do anything with a plant like that! I'll give it a go tonight :)

So I stick all of the ones I cut off in the pot with the others? Perhaps I could get a second pot to put a couple in?

Thanks for your help :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
I just think the stick like thing stands up better if you poke a hole through the roots. That's what I have always done. I always have people give me them when they don't want them anymore.

These are shoots from the ground from the parent Dracaena. I have taken all of them out of the original pot in order to sell them. I actually donate them to one of my garden clubs so they can make the money on them.
Dracaena3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just think the stick like thing stands up better if you poke a hole through the roots. That's what I have always done. I always have people give me them when they don't want them anymore.

These are shoots from the ground from the parent Dracaena. I have taken all of them out of the original pot in order to sell them. I actually donate them to one of my garden clubs so they can make the money on them.
View attachment 23434
Wow, that is incredible! What a lovely idea to donate them too :) I will keep you updated on the progress of mine. Thanks for all your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Just a heads up, those plants get wicked long roots so you might want to buy a relatively deep pot. Mines a bit shy of twice as large as yours, and it had easily 15 feet of root when I repotted it.

Ask a Question