Please help Majesty Palm dying so fast!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I had a majesty palm in my room. I know that was a mistake because my room is very drafty and dry, so my bad. However my mother rescued it and took to back to her house. It’s a pretty small palm. I had got it and it started deteriorating very fast in my home (within 1 week) Now that the palm is in a better environment, I am wondering what my mom can do to best bring it back to life. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Majesty Palms are quite difficult to grow indoors. It’s hard to give them the conditions they need : VERY bright light (like full sun bright), constantly moist soil, high humidity (80%+), and plenty of air movement. I’ve seen some nice big ones in landscapes, but never heard of anyone having success with them indoors.

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
CPP, Do you know whether majesty palms are relatively recently-created hybrids? I was interested to read what you say about them being unsuited to being houseplants, because, without mentioning names, there are several outfits clearly marketing them as such.

I killed two of them indoors before 'getting it right' – I've had one for about three years, indoors. It grew well, but is now sick (I'm think I may know what the two problems are; we'll see if I can save it).

I wonder if it is a 'frankenstein', selectively bred to create a compact, 'sellable' palm, where the precursor species would grow to 40+ feet like most palms.

-LA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is a naturally occurring species Ravenea rivularis. In its native habitat it grows along rivers and in swamps and reaches 90+'. Very high humidity is key to keeping them happy. It also needs extra Magnesium which can come from Epsom salts.

Ask a Question