Please Help Identify This Vegetable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, while on a cruise in the Caribbean, we went to a food market and saw these things. The lady selling them said they are used like potatoes. My French is not great so didn’t get the name. It grows on the plant, so not a root like ginger, more like a squash or gourd, but none I have seen have a random edge, most are uniform. Any Help would be great.
DSCN8332.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
This 'vegetable' is the most unusual thing I've seen in awhile. Maybe a bump-post will give us another chance to have it identified.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm bumping this thread again. Maybe somebody from the Caribbean will recognize this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dioscorea bulbifera (the air potato)
Dioscorea is an interesting possibility, and you may be right, but these don't look like ordinary air-potatoes. The irregular lobes and flanged edge (like a seam) are not typical. Could it be a monstrose cultivar or another species of yam?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Perhaps there are some varieties ... I have never seen, I just read the article.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perhaps there are some varieties ... I have never seen, I just read the article.

Yes, you're right, Larisa. This seems to be a very different 'edible' form of Dioscorea bulbifera. I wonder if they are both really the same species? This article gives a bit more information. https://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/edible-dioscorea-bulbifera-yam/

Ask a Question