Please help identify this one coming over the fence

Reaction score
Country
United States
At first I was thinking, "is it poison sumac?" I don't think so, based on what I see online. However, I would like to know just what it is and hope someone can help.

It is growing over the fence and hanging over some caryopteris I have planted there. The neighbor has some large forsythia on the other side of the fence, and assorted vines tend to creep over. The previous owner had his landscaper clean the area around the forsythia every year but the new neighbors do not so I have more and more things sneaking over.
100_1077.JPG

100_1075.JPG
100_1076.JPG 100_1078.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, that definitely looks like it. "Pokeweed", poking itself over the fence!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, definitely pokeweed! I have a big stand of it in my side yard, it grows so huge and lush that it acts like a living fence so I leave it for the summer along the fence line.
You can cut back what grows over your fence but if it's the same cultivar we have here in Michigan it will grow back practically a foot per day. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My neighbor has a large bush of it growing next to the fence that he cuts back half way each year, it gets around 7'-8' tall in the summer. I understand the berries are quite poisonous to most but birds love them. That bush attracts cedar waxwings by the swarm here, it's the first time I've ever seen that bird in the wild.

Ask a Question