Please help I.D. this weed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Working on spring cleanup here in coastal RI. Several patches of this weed have sprouted in the lawn. They tend to form a mat with tiny roundish leaves close to the ground and 4"-5" stems with tiny flowers as in the photos. Should have taken the pix before pulling them, didn't think of it- these photos are of the same varmint elsewhere in the yard.
Weed1.png
Weed.png

In the spirit of knowing my enemy, looking for help with identification. Any wisdom out there on this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I need a closer image. It kind of looks like chickweed, but the flowers appear elevated far above the foliage (if I'm interpreting the image correctly).

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you can get your weeds before they go to seed you can save yourself a lot of problems later. Most broad leaf weeds will die from mowing often if you catch them before they drop their seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses. Enlarged pic attached. I don't think this is chickweed- leaves too small and stems too long. Possibly it is speedwell, but the photo in thr Ortho reference book isn't that good. If it is speedwell, Ortho says it does not readily reproduce from seed but propagates via runners. The ones I pulled from the lawn had formed mats.
Weed enl..png

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the responses. Enlarged pic attached. I don't think this is chickweed- leaves too small and stems too long. Possibly it is speedwell, but the photo in thr Ortho reference book isn't that good. If it is speedwell, Ortho says it does not readily reproduce from seed but propagates via runners. The ones I pulled from the lawn had formed mats.View attachment 62772
It's common purslane, best to pull it up before it goes to seed, or it will be everywhere.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's common purslane, best to pull it up before it goes to seed, or it will be everywhere.
Searched for photos of common purslane but didn't see any with the tiny 1/4" leaves like these. Would you mind looking at these additional pics and confirming your I.D.? Thank you!

BTW, I have already pulled up the ones that were in the lawn, the photos are from a non-cultivated area. But regardless, now that they have had their "closeups" I will be performing some executions.

Attachments

• Weed2.png
    Weed2.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Weed3.png
    Weed3.png
    311.5 KB · Views: 138
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where are you located. We are in the Columbia Basin in Central/Eastern Washington State - high desert. We get stuff that looks exactly like that - maybe not as lush and it does seed, but mostly in gravel areas like our RV pad. I just pull it out or give it a little Roundup snack.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where are you located. We are in the Columbia Basin in Central/Eastern Washington State - high desert. We get stuff that looks exactly like that - maybe not as lush and it does seed, but mostly in gravel areas like our RV pad. I just pull it out or give it a little Roundup snack.
Thanks for posting. We are in coastal RI, zone 7a. We typically hand-pull these "guests" as even in what I described as uncultivated areas, we do allow some weedy greenery. However, to all you dandelions out there- KEEP OUT OF OUR YARD!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant pictured is Bitter Cress (Cardamine oligosperma or C. hirsuta), in the Mustard family (Brassicaceae).

Ask a Question