Play in the Dirt for Health

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know that it's not very reasonable, but all bacterias terrify me, even the healthy ones:eek: I just hate getting dirty:eek: So no, I'm not ready to give up on using gloves yet. Last week, I bought a whole new pack of silicone gloves, I always put them on my hands when I plan to touch soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
There's a lot to think about in that article.

From my own personal experience I used to get dreadful colds every winter with coughs that lingered for months on end. Since I became seriously involved in bonsai, my colds have been much less severe and go away quite quickly. I've always attributed it to spending more time outdoors, but maybe "playing" with dirt has something to do with it.

I know that it's not very reasonable, but all bacterias terrify me, even the healthy ones:eek: I just hate getting dirty:eek: So no, I'm not ready to give up on using gloves yet. Last week, I bought a whole new pack of silicone gloves, I always put them on my hands when I plan to touch soil.

I also used to hate getting my hands dirty, but I feel really uncomfortable working with gloves and never do it. Some of my trees have thorns or prickly leaves, and I've been encouraged to use gloves when working with those, but I just can't do it. I do own a pair of gardening gloves (which I got as a prize in a bonsai raffle) but I've never worn them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I really don't care for wearing gloves and much rather have my hands in the dirt. I keep my nails short so I don't have an issue with that and sometimes I find it very therapeutic to get into the dirt:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its true, nothing wrong with a bit of dirt. Used to drink spring water that if you looked at it under the microscope, there would be things waving back at you with there flagellums.

Reaction score
LOL - I was a mucky kid, and now I'm a mucky adult. One of my earliest memories is getting a scolding for playing in a pile of dirt in my best dress, right before we were supposed to go out somewhere :D

I try to wear my gardening gloves - I take them out with me, but somehow they end up on the ground, forgotten, while I move around the garden unfettered. We have pets, and our house isn't on social services watch list, but it is far from pristine, and we rarely seem to get sick.

Reaction score

Hi Claudine! I used to feel the same way too, I've been suffering from OCD for a while, but it was really bad some years ago and that's when I felt terrified by the idea of touching dirty things. So I know what you mean :( I no longer feel this way, by the way. I think I've finally managed to get rid of my OCD... not completely but almost :) I just wrote this to let you know that you're not alone :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Don't worry Claudine, the healthy bacteria are with you. Your body couldn't function without healthy bacteria. Helping add to those bacteria is a choice. If you are outside some will find you and you won't even know plus you can keep that manicure nice unlike some of us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum, thank you for your support. I've been suffering from OCD for many years now and unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that I'll never get rid of it. But I learned how to live with it, so it's okay. I just have to wear gloves when I'm working in my garden, it's not very inconvenient:)
Jewell, yes, we need healthy bacterias, I just prefer not to look for them on my own:)

Reaction score
I am not much of a gym rat, but getting all dirty sticky and sweaty in the garden is in my mind my work out routine. Thanks for the information and insight on "getting dirty".

As an aside, therapists will say gardening is really quite good for mental health as well. That being said whether you talk to your plants or not...Just be concerned if you hear them talking back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
... you can keep that manicure nice unlike some of us.

I've long given up on the idea of having pretty nails, but this reminds me of the time I first got involved with bonsai. I attended a two day beginners course and getting my hands dirty while repotting my tree came as a bit of a shock to me, particularly when I wanted to take photos of the work I was doing. But I took it in my stride and I've never looked back.

However one of my classmates was a young lady in her early twenties. At the end of the two days she was really upset at the state of her nails. I was not surprised that her involvement with our bonsai club came to an abrupt end after that. I sometimes wonder what became of her tree.

Reaction score
Hi Claudine! I used to feel the same way too, I've been suffering from OCD for a while, but it was really bad some years ago and that's when I felt terrified by the idea of touching dirty things. So I know what you mean :( I no longer feel this way, by the way. I think I've finally managed to get rid of my OCD... not completely but almost :) I just wrote this to let you know that you're not alone :)
Oh, gosh, you're definitely not alone, Claudine. I have many OCD's, but dirt just isn't one of them!

Reaction score
Its true, nothing wrong with a bit of dirt. Used to drink spring water that if you looked at it under the microscope, there would be things waving back at you with there flagellums.

That is a hilarious mental picture that you painted there. I can just imagine a happy little amoeba giving a jaunty little wave.:)

Reaction score
LOL - I was a mucky kid, and now I'm a mucky adult. One of my earliest memories is getting a scolding for playing in a pile of dirt in my best dress, right before we were supposed to go out somewhere :D

I try to wear my gardening gloves - I take them out with me, but somehow they end up on the ground, forgotten, while I move around the garden unfettered. We have pets, and our house isn't on social services watch list, but it is far from pristine, and we rarely seem to get sick.

Me too. I'm kind of a hippie artist type and I don't even like to wear shoes. I'm usually barefoot and not wearing gloves when I take care of my plants.

The only thing that makes me sick is when my daughter brings home the flu or colds from school. Whenever there's a bug making the rounds at school, I end up with it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've hardly been ill since the kids left school.

Last thing I remember getting bad was Swine Flu, thats going back a few years now.

Ask a Question