Plastic pots verses Iron pots for plants

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I have seem alot and when I say alot I really mean...lots of different types of pots and things to use in the garden. I am curious to know if it matter whether I used a plastic pot or an iron. I was thinking of growing herbs on the window sill. Also is it better to use certain kinds of pots to grow certain kinds of herd? help needed..so many questions..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@ShanniB my only concern with iron pots would be the weight and rust. Otherwise the pot doesn't matter much in my opinion as I don't think you're going to need any insulation in jamiaca during the winter season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I agree with tHomas, plastic pots are light. They are inexpensive, easy to replace and do exactly the same job as any other pot. Plus they come in lots of shapes, sizes and colours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ditto what they said...I think some metal (or ceramic or terracotta) pots are very pretty, but they are expensive and heavy. For sheer ease and affordability I'd go with plastic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
For the few windowsill herbs we have during the winter, I use plastic pots, set inside a ceramic pot that doesn't have drainage holes. I keep parsley, oregano, and basil going on the sill--clipped often and watered sparingly since the plastic pot drains into the ceramic one and if I'm not careful, I have a foot bath set up for the herbs!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also use plastic pots inside ceramic pots so that the plant is not too heavy which can happen when an iron pot is used. If you are concerned about rust harming the plant or getting into your food if it is edible don't use iron pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Clay pots are the best according to one gardener that I talked to. But since clay pots are not that durable, sometimes it even breaks because of the growing roots. The fashion now is the plastic pots and the bigger rubber pots that is mostly used by small trees - our star fruit is in a rubber pot. With iron pots, it is susceptible to rust so it is not being used here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, I don’t think it matters what type of pot you use. I noticed my metal pots do start to rust so I stay away from them. I would really like to use clay as I feel it is most natural. However, I usually buy whatever potters I can find so I have a lot of plastic ones. They seem to be holding up just fine! I noticed I need to stay away from the thin plastic ones because they crack very easily.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The advantages of having plastic pots is that they can not rust just like iron pots. You can also re use them for long period of time. I also like plastic pots since they are light than iron pots. I think that I why I usually go for pots made of plastic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think it is up to you and your preference, as long as they are the appropriate size for the plants you are growing, as well as they provide proper drainage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like plastic pots, because they're very inexpensive, not heavy at all and they come in all possible colors.
However, I also bought a few steel flower pot covers, because they look really lovely and modern:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Clay pots are the best according to one gardener that I talked to. But since clay pots are not that durable, sometimes it even breaks because of the growing roots. The fashion now is the plastic pots and the bigger rubber pots that is mostly used by small trees - our star fruit is in a rubber pot. With iron pots, it is susceptible to rust so it is not being used here.
I'm a clay pot person. I made the mistake of leaving them out one winter and they all cracked. I have to grow my tomatoes and potatoes in pots because of a fungus in my veggie gardens.

Ask a Question