Plants that grow in the shade?

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any plants that grow really well in the shade. I'm particularly interested in climbing plants. A plant that is strong and hardy would be an extra bonus. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know, ivies grow really well in the shade and they look so lovely! Personally, I love them. Look at this beautiful picture:

Ivy%2Bwall.jpg

Reaction score
The climbing hydrangea vine is an ideal choice for shady areas and varying weather and soil conditions, as it is very hardy and blooms reliably year after year for several months a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think wisteria will grow in the shade, and it looks so spectacular when in bloom!

Reaction score
The variegated Hedrera is a simple but bright choice. However, I would also look at the trumpet flower and gelsemium sempervirens as they are fast growing and hardy.
Here are some pictures of the trumpet vine
vines11.jpg

Gelsemium sempervirens

images

Reaction score
The variegated Hedrera is a simple but bright choice. However, I would also look at the trumpet flower and gelsemium sempervirens as they are fast growing and hardy.
Here are some pictures of the trumpet vine
vines11.jpg

Gelsemium sempervirens

images

Absolutely LOVE those peach ones. Wish I had a more shaded yard but mine is ALL sun all the time. Well on the side of the house there is partial shade but not much. The trees in my yard are just beginning to grow ( I planted them myself) so they don't provide shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The only vine that I have ever had growing in shade was also an ivy , and it was fine , and seemed to prefer the shade.
When I was growing up, my mother had grape vines in the back yard, and the vines were basically underneath a huge pear tree, and growing on a trellis along side of the root cellar, so it was almost totally shaded all the time.
We had wonderful grapes from it every year, and it seemed to be fine in the shade.

Reaction score
Absolutely LOVE those peach ones. Wish I had a more shaded yard but mine is ALL sun all the time. Well on the side of the house there is partial shade but not much. The trees in my yard are just beginning to grow ( I planted them myself) so they don't provide shade.
These plants grow in partial sun to full sun.. But they are hardy and grow well in shade. The bloom more when in direct sunshine. They do have the ability to damage walls if allowed to grow on them. These are aggressive plants and are best kept confined to fences and boundary markings. Prune then regularly will make them bloom in profusion. Here is a link to more information about this plant http://landscaping.about.com/od/vineplants1/p/trumpet-vines.htm

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your recommendations! All of these plants are stunning! I have written down all the names and shall be visiting the garden centre soon! It is always hard to find plants that will flourish without much sun. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
From what I know, Clematis will grow in the shade too. It's a really gorgeous climbing plant, the flowers come in many different colors:

powojnik-clematis-jackmanii_23513.jpg

Reaction score
From what I know, Clematis will grow in the shade too. It's a really gorgeous climbing plant, the flowers come in many different colors:

powojnik-clematis-jackmanii_23513.jpg
Wow, Clematis is gorgeous. I love the intense purple color. We have a street in Florida named after this plant but I didn't know what they looked like. So far this is my favorite of the shade tolerant plants in this thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm glad that you like it.
My personal favorite would be white Clematis, look at this gorgeous picture:

clematis.jpg

Reaction score
I have a bleeding heart that thrives in my shade garden, and I live in central Florida. It came with the house, quite unexpected. I just thought it was a vine and then it started blooming. I set it up with a piece of lattice to grow on and it is quite happy, with minimal attention.

Reaction score
Here's an idea that you can try, albeit an unconventional one....

Find a semi-shade or light sun plant you like, plant it in your shade spot, and apply a little electricity to it via a couple of batteries in a waterproof case going to some steel nails on either side of the plant or garden area. Low levels of electricity tend to male plants more greener in color, helping them absorb much more light than normal.

Ask a Question