Plants started inside are wilting

Reaction score
Hello, about a month ago I started roughly 72 vegetables inside of different varieties. I have them in starter cells that sit in trays, using bottom watering. I have a 6 bulb T5 light that sits about 9" above the plants. I keep the area about 70 degrees, they get 16 hours of light a day, and I put about an inch of water in the tray when the soil starts to dry out on the top. I used a mixture of peat moss and perelite for my soil.

Everything germinated great, only took a few days, since then I have had them on 16 hours a day of light. They have grown extremely well. There was a few times that I could have watered sooner, and they were starting to wilt, but after I watered they perked right back up. I fertilized with organic liquid fertilizer about a week and a half ago. I noticed that some of my plants weren't looking the best, carrots, beefsteak tomatoes, broccoli and lettuce, all look drab and slightly wilted, even with plenty of water and fert. However my cherry tomatoes, peppers, kale and onions are looking absolutely amazing. I am not exactly to sure what is going on, but I could sure use some help.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Also wanted to say, I am thinking about setting them out today for a while, not in direct sunlight to see if it helps.

Reaction score
when I get home I will take a few, do you think it will hurt having them out for about 6 hours today, its about 70 degrees out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
when I get home I will take a few, do you think it will hurt having them out for about 6 hours today, its about 70 degrees out.
Absolutely not, In fact you should leave them out and bring them in only if it starts to get cold. Have they got their first set of true leaves? If they have you could plant them into a pot with potting soil or into your garden. Send pics and we will know more.

Reaction score
They have all gotten their true leaves, Its still to early to be leaving them out, temps are supposed to drop down into the 20s again tomorrow night, we have just been in a bit of a heat wave the past couple of days. I am going to start setting them out during the day and bringing them in at night.

I think they may possibly have gotten to large for the cells.

Reaction score
Really, you need to send some pictures before we can get a true idea of the problem. It takes quite awhile before they outgrow their pots - if you can't see the roots poking out of the bottom then the are okay. Sounds like inconsistent watering is your problem. They don't need to be set outside until it is warm enough for them to spend the night outside.

Reaction score
I have actually set my inside starter greenhouses outside when and if my flowers started to look bad. This brought them back to life and they done so great. Sometimes too little or too much water can hurt your flowers.

Reaction score
IMG_20140414_123605.jpg IMG_20140414_123612.jpg IMG_20140414_123605.jpg IMG_20140414_123628.jpg IMG_20140414_123635.jpg IMG_20140414_123646.jpg

Some stuff has not been thinned out yet, I wasn't sure if they were going to make it so I never thinned them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 2578 View attachment 2579 View attachment 2578 View attachment 2580 View attachment 2581 View attachment 2582

Some stuff has not been thinned out yet, I wasn't sure if they were going to make it so I never thinned them.
Some of the plants show chlorosis and others show signs of too much water. If it were me I would let them have direct sunlight for about 4-6 hours per day and NO fertilizer. I would also keep them above 50F for a while and I would go ahead and thin them. What kind of air circulation do you have.

Reaction score
I decided since I still have about a month before safe outdoor planting I'm going to restart the cabbage, cauliflower and kale. I lowered the Temps in the room and the broccoli looks a lot healthier today. I think I will cut the watering amount in half for bottom watering and see if it makes a difference

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I decided since I still have about a month before safe outdoor planting I'm going to restart the cabbage, cauliflower and kale. I lowered the Temps in the room and the broccoli looks a lot healthier today. I think I will cut the watering amount in half for bottom watering and see if it makes a difference
Remember that you cannot over water a plant but you can sure water too often. Watering to often is probably the biggest mistake people make when growing from seed. On your healthy plants I would transfer them to a 3 or 4 inch pot full of a good potting soil and slowly cool them down. I am also afraid that you will get damping off if you continue to fertilize full strength.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I'm watering too often I wait until the soil dries and the plants start to show signs of needing water so I water then. I used organic liquid fertilizer and use the recommended amount and I don't plant on using anymore. If I wait any longer to water the start to wilt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not sure how I'm watering too often I wait until the soil dries and the plants start to show signs of needing water so I water then. I used organic liquid fertilizer and use the recommended amount and I don't plant on using anymore. If I wait any longer to water the start to wilt
In the morning after they have rested is when you look for signs of wilt, never when they have spent hours in the light. Also straight peat moss is probably to acidic and pearlite is only a planting medium. Put them in potting soil.

Reaction score
I always check them before the light cycle begins, and that is when I water as well. I did a lot of research and it said to start them in peat moss/pearlite mix until you plant them. The problem with moving them to bigger pots is, I won't have enough room under my light anymore.

Ask a Question