Plants not growing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought bulk soil at a local nursery for my raised bed, it was 60% topsoil 30% compost and 10% woodchips. All the transplants i put in the soil seem to be growing very slow if at all.
I am fertilizing every 2 weeks with a 2-4-2 fish hydrolysate.

I have a couple jalapeno plants, a serrano, romaine, and a roma tomato plant that im having issues with.

I have other plants in containers with potting soil that I planted at the same time that are thriving, so I'm not sure what to do.

My question is, is there anything I should add to the soil to help the plants grow? Or anything else i could do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have too much carbon and that's causing a nitrogen deficiency. In order for compost and woodchip to break down they need Nitrogen to decay the carbon. Nothing in nature decays with out nitrogen. If you have too much carbon all the nitrogen in area is used up before the plants can get it. The best way to fix the problem is to supplement your bed with both types of nitrogen, Fast release, and slow release nitrogen and that will fix your problem for good.

If you are organic you can use a bags poultry mix for fast release and bags cottonseed bur compost for the slow release nitrogen.

Or, if you are ok with synthetic fertilizer you and use a 21-0-0 which would be the fastest fix. Mix either into the growing area and allow the nitrogen to work for a couple weeks before planting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have too much carbon and that's causing a nitrogen deficiency. In order for compost and woodchip to break down they need Nitrogen to decay the carbon. Nothing in nature decays with out nitrogen. If you have too much carbon all the nitrogen in area is used up before the plants can get it. The best way to fix the problem is to supplement your bed with both types of nitrogen, Fast release, and slow release nitrogen and that will fix your problem for good.

If you are organic you can use a bags poultry mix for fast release and bags cottonseed bur compost for the slow release nitrogen.

Or, if you are ok with synthetic fertilizer you and use a 21-0-0 which would be the fastest fix. Mix either into the growing area and allow the nitrogen to work for a couple weeks before planting.

Wow thank you, someone recommended to me that i geta pellet fertilizer and put around my plants and then use my 2-4-2 fish hydrolysate liquid fertilizer also to help boost the nitrogen. Do you think that wilk work? The pellet fertilizer is a 3-6-3.

Otherwise get a chicken manure and spread it around each plant? Or the whole bed? The raised bed is already full of plants.

Would high quality worm castings work also?

Reaction score
Country
United States
2-4-2 fish hydrolysate is too high in Phosphorus and would be great if you had flowering plants growing and not a nitrogen deficiency. Worm castings are a wonderful organic fertilizer but too slow for a quick fix. This is what I use to break down the carbon in my compost pile. Also, I side-dress my plants using this as well, because it's prills are easy to spread around plants and its fast. I just take a handful and sprinkle it around my plants one time in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok. What about a blood meal for fast? I found ones thats 12-0-0 and and maybe a feather meal for slow?

Reaction score
Country
United States
2-4-2 fish hydrolysate is too high in Phosphorus and would be great if you had flowering plants growing and not a nitrogen deficiency. Worm castings are a wonderful organic fertilizer but too slow for a quick fix. This is what I use to break down the carbon in my compost pile. Also, I side-dress my plants using this as well, because it's prills are easy to spread around plants and its fast. I just take a handful and sprinkle it around my plants one time in the spring.
Ok. What about a blood meal for fast? I found ones thats 12-0-0 and and maybe a feather meal for slow?

Ask a Question