Plants for security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to plant something spikey to block an opening for security purposes. I am wanting something that will grow to between 1 and 1.5 metres high. Can anyone suggest anything. Thanking you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are a number of wild Roses that form thickets only penetrable by rabbits, others will go somewhere else.
I say "wild" but I mean (I think) old Chinese tiny white to pink flowers that have escaped in most places. Five-Finger Aralia, Eleutherococcus siebodiana, does the same thing. I have a 'Vaiegatus' that fills a blind corner of fencing that I would like potential crooks to avoid. It's ten years old and I cut it to the ground every-other year to keep it in bounds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It can be invasive in some areas, but I would think trimming to shape would be a part of using trifoliate orange. No idea of your grow zone specifically though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums LindaC. :)

Berberis comes to mind immediately. Also Chaenomeles (an ornamental quince), Pyracantha and Osmanthus. Also hollies, but they would need to be pruned to keep them at the height you require.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @LindaC and a big welcome to the forums. As Sheal mentioned, Berberis is a pretty obvious choice. There are several varieties with red, gold or green foliage. The best (most evil) :devil: one is ''stenophylla'' - I know this for sure, because I used to have to propagate them when I worked at the nursery...... and went home each night with perforated fingers :hurting:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Ask a Question