Plants for College Dorm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I want a couple of plants to put in my college dorm room. What are some good suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow college that was a couple years ago... yup you want something transportable.
my suggestion is a coleus..they are colorful easy to take of....
maybe a potted fern or violet...

knowledge is power, study hard.............

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the easiest plants to care for is the spider plant and it can grow to a fair good size with very little care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Being you will be extremely busy and forgetful in your new environment I would suggest an airplant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Choose something you like. A nice plant can make any place look beautiful:) I started growing miniature roses when I was a university student. Even though I was busy, I loved taking care of them, because it was very relaxing. Roses are my favorite plants.
I also like peace lilies and herbs, because they're very easy to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! :)

Can't go wrong with pothos or snake plant- and both are OK in low light and pretty much hard to kill. Ditto Boston ferns, they work great as hanging plants too.

If you have a sunny window there are all sorts of herbs you can grow indoors, plus you can eat them. :p A couple of winters ago I grew a bunch of pretty little plants in saucers of water from offcuts of vegetables. Carrots, turnips, green onions, celery. I've also grown avocado plants from the seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ooh yeah herbs are a great idea! I love the smell of rosemary and thyme so I might consider getting some. An airplant or succulent is also a great idea. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m a big fan of Ivy. It is pretty easy to keep alive and I think the vines make a room look beautiful. I also like bamboo, which is likewise easy to take care of. Bamboo just requires a lot of watering which may not be good if you aren’t there all the time and requires direct sunlight. Bamboo is also known to freshen up a room.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I suggest planting some herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, or lavender. Those are also edible so if you ever find yourself wanting to spice up a dish you made or want some tea you already have them in your room. Aloe Vera is also another good choice. Not only does it help clean the air, it is excellent for burns and mild rashes. I also suggest getting a cactus if you're looking for something that's a little low maintenance. Succulents are also another good choice.

Ask a Question