Plants as Christmas Gifts

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to give plants as gifts because I love plants and think growing things in a person's home adds to the decor of the home. Some plants that are great for this time of the year are of course the Poinsettia, the plant comes in several colors, red, white and a lighter red almost pink.

I always look for an unusual pot to put the gift plant in to make it even more special.

Then there is the Cyclamen, a potted Azalea also makes a great plant gift. I have not seen these two in my area but a Christmas pepper and Christmas cherry are also holiday plants.

Are you giving plants for gifts this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The only person I give a gift to is my boyfriend. I can't give him any plants, because he already has one and he always forgets to water it, haha:p I love everything about him, but I know he doesn't have a green thumb.
I plan to give him a shrimp aquarium! I'm sure he'll plant aquatic plants in it:)

Reaction score
My family doesn't celebrate it, but I might start celebrating it if I marry my current boyfriend. I would love to recieve a plant as a gift! Not sure about giving one as a gift, I mean, my future father in law is a gardener, lol. I'm sure he has plenty of those, but who knows? Maybe that would actually be nice, since they seem to have everything already. What can you give to someone who has it all?

Reaction score
Thank you for this idea, how could a plant gift slip my mind? I was worrying over what to get my mom and I think a plant would be perfect. Does anyone have any experience with a Christmas pepper? I have admired those each year, but have yet to get one.

I think a plant as a gift is perfect, as long as the person does not have a history of killing plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My youngest daughter is not a plant person, for their house warming she was given a beautiful peace plant and several others plants. We had a good laugh because the people that gave her the plants did not realize she kills plants. I usually go over once a month to check the plants to see if they need to be rescued, unfortunately several have died but the peace plant is still hardy. They went on vacation forgot about the poor dear, came back to a sick plant, lots of water brought it back to life good as gold.

If you give a gift plant to some one who you are not sure would take care of it give a hardy plant like the peace plant or a snake plant they hard to kill also.

Reaction score
I only celebrate Christmas with my boyfriend now, but when I did see my family on Christmas, I would give flowers as gifts to my grandmother. She loves flowers and decorating her home with them. Her home always looked so lovely and smelled fantastic. It was a beautiful sight... and smell. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum, I have absolutely no idea what would I buy my boyfriend's parents. It would be so hard to find a nice gift for them! So I can imagine how you feel. But don't worry so much, I'm sure your significant other will have a few ideas:)

My friend always buys her in-laws plants. I'm not sure if they appreciate it though. It's weird that some people don't like receiving plants;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha, good one :D I got it, lol!!!! Very funny, Zigs!!!! But seriously... buying gifts for them every christmas will be really hard :cry:

:D That's easy, you don't get them plants, but get them Gardening disposables like gloves, knee pads, plant lables etc. Always appreciated :)

I love it when I get trays to keep pots on, new forks, cane supports, cloches and so on, also books on gardening, magazine subscriptions.

Is there an equivalent to the RHS where you are?

Reaction score
Great idea, Zigs!!! I also forgot to mention the mom love photography and cooking :) They seem to like book with pictures, heh! I've seen they have a lot of those. My boyfriend is going to give me two of those for christmas.

I'll do that next year :) I will buy some gardening disposables, uhm any idea how to wrap all that? I was thinking of a medium sized box :) I guess putting all that together would make sense? Ah, I'm not good with christmas things. Hey, should I give them pots too? I mean, you can never have too many flower pots, right?

No equivalent to the RHS here :( They might have in north Holland tho. If they do... yay!

Reaction score
Trellum, I have absolutely no idea what would I buy my boyfriend's parents. It would be so hard to find a nice gift for them! So I can imagine how you feel. But don't worry so much, I'm sure your significant other will have a few ideas:)

My friend always buys her in-laws plants. I'm not sure if they appreciate it though. It's weird that some people don't like receiving plants;)

Ah, he just told me what he bought for them yesterday... one of those machines to make pasta :p Well, officially, I think that family has everything, lol. Claudine, I'm not good at this kind of things to be honest, giving gifts is hard... all that thinking and planning :cry:

By the way, my boyfriend isn't good at gifting at all. Seriously, specially to a woman :LOL: He just asks them what they need or want for christmas ;)

Oh they are into gardening? If they are, I'm sure they appreciate it :) I'd love to recieve new plants as gifts :love:

Reaction score
I don't give plants for gifts, most people don't really know how to, or want to, care for them. Gift cards are better- they don't have to be watered!

Ask a Question