planting veg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am new to growing my own veg. I have planted seeds in a tray which are coming up nicely.

When do I transfer them to pots and garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi
I am new to growing my own veg. I have planted seeds in a tray which are coming up nicely.

When do I transfer them to pots and garden.
You said a tray. Does this tray have seperate cells or just one area? If in separate cells you can wait longer, until the 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves or even longer in some cases. If in an open tray, depending on how closely spaced the germinated seeds are, transfer very carefully when the first set of true leaves begin to form or if the seeds are widely spaced, when the first set of true leave are fully formed. You must not damage the tiny roots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Brian, welcome to the forum :)
What veggies have you planted? Some seeds can go directly into drills outside, while others need to stay indoors until all chances of frosty weather are out of the way.
Here in the UK we are expecting a mini heatwave, when no doubt, novice gardeners all over the country will be planting stuff out in the garden......after the heatwave we are expecting a northerly blast with possible snow :eek: death to many tender plantlets !
Pricking out seedlings into small pots will possibly be your best bet now, and keep them in for a bit longer. Let the seedlings get a few proper leaves (not the first two - cotyledons) and when you transplant them only touch the leaves, never the stem.

Ask a Question