Planting roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
I love roses and would love to have some in my garden, but I am a complete newbie when it comes to roses. When is the best time to plant them? How to take care of them? And what variety is best for a climate with hot summers and cold winters, and not much rain. What is your favorite variety? All tips and advice are welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Goodness, Belgium's climate sounds a lot like central Texas--hot dry summers, coldish winters!
We have quite a few roses spread around the flower beds, and we've found that own-root roses (not grafted) do best for us. We have antique roses, David Austin roses, and bred roses that are still own-root. We plant in the early fall when daytime temperatures are in the 80's, and nighttime in the 60's. We can also plant in the spring--late February or early March--when the daytime temperatures are in the high 60's to low 70's, and nighttime are in the 50's.
Caring for own-root roses means pruning them when they start their new growth in the spring, fertilizing at the same time, and if you have a serious drought, watering deeply once a week. Otherwise, they don't need much care.
The photo is of an antique rose--the bush is about 3 feet tall and five feet wide, and that's after a hard pruning in spring!

Attachments

• caldwell pink crop.jpg
    caldwell pink crop.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I am not an expert, however, I have grown 6 varieties of roses in my gardening. In my experience, winter is the good season for pruning rose plant especially in December, and January, and February and March are good season for planting rose. Interestingly, if you plant rose on pots, you can plant around the year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Mulch! Be sure to mulch them before the cold months. Cutting them back is important, but its very easy to lose them in the cold. I have lost quite a few. When I started mounding the mulch on, that seemed to help.

Reaction score
I am not an expert, however, I have grown 6 varieties of roses in my gardening. In my experience, winter is the good season for pruning rose plant especially in December, and January, and February and March are good season for planting rose. Interestingly, if you plant rose on pots, you can plant around the year

This is very informative! Before I tried to buy two pots of young rose plants which is color red and peach. Then I transferred it to two big pots so that they can grow in a bigger space. But unfortunately my roses only lives for almost a year and had died. But I tried to make them alive but I was not able to bring them back to life. Actually I am planning to take care of roses again but does not know how to really take care of this kind of flowering plants. Thank you for sharing your experiences when it comes to planting roses. :)

Ask a Question