Planting Potatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it OK to plant store bought potatoes? I'm reading a lot of pros and cons on this. Not sure what is true or false.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Some store-bought potatoes are treated with something that retards sprouting. If you can find non-treated potatoes, perhaps "organic" potatoes, and if they are appropriate for your area, you should be okay with them.

Here in Texas I plant Red LaSodas and Yukons. They both do well, and are more expensive at the grocery than the usual baking or boiling types. Potatoes at the grocery are pretty cheap, and if you are pressed for garden space, you may want to forego planting potatoes. They are a lot of fun to dig, though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The potatoes I have sprouting are small baby potatoes. They started a week after I bought them. I have a 3'x12' above ground garden. Looks like it won't do well even if they could be planted. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try planting potatoes in a black grow bag. As they grow you can add material all the way to the top. And when they’re done you can just turn the bag over and dump it out. You get to reuse the grow medium and bag too. Plus if you need to move the potatoes later to get more light or keep them away from a pest you just slide it to a new spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, will this method still work with my store bought potatoes?
Store bought potatoes will usually appear ok for a month then wilt and die. That’s been my experience but I’ve read it’s not a good idea too. You should be able to pickup 10-15 seed potatoes in a bag for a few bucks at a garden store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for confirming the thinking in my head. I will now go and buy potato seeds at a reliable store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's the only kind I plant, albeit I don't actually "plant" them, but since I eat tons of potatoes and throw out bruised potato bits with my compost I have them growing all over the yard and I do eat them as well...

Ask a Question