Planting on a slope

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I’m outside of Harrisburg PA zone 6. I have a large slope (sunny all day) that I want to cover with shrubs and groundcover. Maybe some perennial flowers mixed in. It is hard ( but not impossible) to walk up this slope - I’m looking for low maintenance plants. I know I’ll have to weed for a few years. Any suggestions for shrubs/plants would be appreciated!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Echinaceas will be very happy on a slope and the purple ones will attract a lot of bees. Aubretia for the lowest ground as they hug the ground beautifully.

This is a website for zone 6 perennials. Have a look and take your pick! Good luck!

https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/zone-6-perennials. Note that astilbe like it a bit shady.. so might not be happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Nancy Lee , I live about 2 hours East of you. also have a slope in my back garden. I first tilled it well with a mix of peat and manure and the home soil there. it needed it, as it was clay.
Not sure what your slope looks like, really tall or short. My friend has a tall slope and she banked it out with steps using pressure treated wood to give it 4 tiers. and then steps up the middle of it. Just saying that now before you start. Mine is not that tall about 5 foot and more of a hill that a slope.

Hers turned out wonderful. she has Rhodo growing that weep over and hostas, grasses. azaleas. astilbies.

I love hardy geraniums as they are so dense, keep the weeds from growing threw them. have fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hi everyone. I’m outside of Harrisburg PA zone 6. I have a large slope (sunny all day) that I want to cover with shrubs and groundcover. Maybe some perennial flowers mixed in. It is hard ( but not impossible) to walk up this slope - I’m looking for low maintenance plants. I know I’ll have to weed for a few years. Any suggestions for shrubs/plants would be appreciated!

@Nancy Lee Could it be something like this you are looking for?

246.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In the above picture, my friends slope as mentioned in my entry is what my friend used for the 4 tiers going upward, and has a set of steps in the middle. so it is easy for her to go up the steps and into the flat tiers to work on stuff.

Ask a Question