Planting Now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I live in New York City. I have a larger outdoor wooden planter on my balcony and I didn't even think to plant bulbs in the late fall, it is now early winter. Are there any bulbs I could plant now.. (First week of January) that may still bloom in the springtime?? Thank you for any advice! I really wanted to do daffodils but I'm sad it might be too late. Any advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome Chantal.
In your (our) area, October would be the cutoff time. The ground needs to be no less than 40° (50° is optimum) so the roots have a chance to dig in a little. Given you want to plant in an above ground planter, I would move the cutoff to mid September.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Chantal. :) I agree with Licenter it's now to late. But if you still want daffodils you could cheat by buying them already in pots and growing in early spring and sink them temporarily in their pot/s into your planter. When they have finished flowering and have died back you can then take them from the pot/s and put them into your planter for the following season.

Ask a Question