Planting New Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It's been extremely hot here in FL. The temperature's reaching upper 90s and heat index in triple digits. I have some purple tomatoes, Bee Feed Mix, and chocolate bell peppers seeds. Should I start seeding now, or should I wait until September or later?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's been extremely hot here in FL. The temperature's reaching upper 90s and heat index in triple digits. I have some purple tomatoes, Bee Feed Mix, and chocolate bell peppers seeds. Should I start seeding now, or should I wait until September or later?
Now is the time to plant your fall seeds in containers, not in the ground. The hottest part of the year isn't here yet. In 10a in Florida it is unlikely for you to have a killing frost before the tomatoes mature if at all until late in the year. On peppers they like it hot and it might be a little late but you can always protect them, but remember that tomatoes only reliably set fruit between 68F and 74F NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPS. Plant seeds in containers ASAP

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If you are planting in beds, I guess it is okay but you have to put a shield to protect the seedlings from the excessive heat of the sun. Particularly you said tomatoes, the tender leaves of the seedlings would wilt and it would just die. We usually plant tomatoes here when the rainy season is about to end. The cool weather is appreciated by the seedlings.

Ask a Question