Planting IN GROUND lemon tree Questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
I've browsed a lot of discussions posted throughout the years about lemon trees, taking in all the information can be quite overwhelming lol. youtube has helped too.
It's hard to find info on in ground lemon tree planting compared to container planting.

I'm planning on buying a lemon tree this year for our yard. I'm in California Zone 8-9. I will be planning on planting it IN THE GROUND!

My questions are:

I saw a lot of people suggesting to mix 50/50 organic soil or compost with your regular existing soil, the thing is which soil do I use? I was looking at Black Gold natural organic potting soil or Dr Earth fruit tree planting soil or EB stone planting Compost (hard to find around here) - it'd be great if someone could rate them in order on which one you'd prefer over the other & some feedback if you do use them!

Also, I was planning on sprinkling in some dr earth fruit tree fertilizer in hole I dig for the lemon tree so the transport shock isn't so drastic. Any recommendations on that? I don't want to get root burn so I'll be not so generous .. Or should I?

when should I fertilize next after planting? I'm planning on getting a young started plant (one you just plant straight from the 5 gallon pot)

Should I paint the stems with paint? What kind of paint should I use?

thank you! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've browsed a lot of discussions posted throughout the years about lemon trees, taking in all the information can be quite overwhelming lol. youtube has helped too.
It's hard to find info on in ground lemon tree planting compared to container planting.

I'm planning on buying a lemon tree this year for our yard. I'm in California Zone 8-9. I will be planning on planting it IN THE GROUND!

My questions are:

I saw a lot of people suggesting to mix 50/50 organic soil or compost with your regular existing soil, the thing is which soil do I use? I was looking at Black Gold natural organic potting soil or Dr Earth fruit tree planting soil or EB stone planting Compost (hard to find around here) - it'd be great if someone could rate them in order on which one you'd prefer over the other & some feedback if you do use them!

Also, I was planning on sprinkling in some dr earth fruit tree fertilizer in hole I dig for the lemon tree so the transport shock isn't so drastic. Any recommendations on that? I don't want to get root burn so I'll be not so generous .. Or should I?

when should I fertilize next after planting? I'm planning on getting a young started plant (one you just plant straight from the 5 gallon pot)

Should I paint the stems with paint? What kind of paint should I use?

thank you! :)
I would not mix anything with the soil you removed to make the hole and here is why. Your new tree needs to spread its root system as far and as fast as it can. By fertilizing the hole you are encouraging the roots to stay in place. When you dig the hole make the hole a square instead of a round hole. This will stop circling roots making the roots grow faster into the surrounding soil. Before removing the tree from its pot fill the hole up with water and make sure it drains properly. Make sure that the root flare isn't buried. Citrus doesn't need much if any fertilizers. If you do don't use much. What will be very beneficial to the tree is a thick layer of good compost covered by a few inches of mulch. Before planting soak the tree, container and all for a few minutes in a tub of water mixed with liquid seaweed, about 2 oz per gallon. This will alleviate shock. Do not paint the roots. If they are root bound in the pot GENTLY massage them to loosen them up. This will be easier after they have soaked awhile. After planting and applying the compost and mulch SLOWLY water in the tree for a few hours moving the hose ever so often to make the surrounding soil moist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
I would not mix anything with the soil you removed to make the hole and here is why. Your new tree needs to spread its root system as far and as fast as it can. By fertilizing the hole you are encouraging the roots to stay in place. When you dig the hole make the hole a square instead of a round hole. This will stop circling roots making the roots grow faster into the surrounding soil. Before removing the tree from its pot fill the hole up with water and make sure it drains properly. Make sure that the root flare isn't buried. Citrus doesn't need much if any fertilizers. If you do don't use much. What will be very beneficial to the tree is a thick layer of good compost covered by a few inches of mulch. Before planting soak the tree, container and all for a few minutes in a tub of water mixed with liquid seaweed, about 2 oz per gallon. This will alleviate shock. Do not paint the roots. If they are root bound in the pot GENTLY massage them to loosen them up. This will be easier after they have soaked awhile. After planting and applying the compost and mulch SLOWLY water in the tree for a few hours moving the hose ever so often to make the surrounding soil moist.

Should I use the EB planting compost? What kind of mulch should I get?
Just to make it clear for myself: when I spread the compost and mulch - I spread it around the rootball (which is planted 1inch above the surrounding ground) and do not put any compost or mulch on top of it? What about mixing compost with the existing soil?

If the hole were to not drain properly do I use sand (what types should I use), perlite, or small gravel?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Should I use the EB planting compost? What kind of mulch should I get?
Just to make it clear for myself: when I spread the compost and mulch - I spread it around the rootball (which is planted 1inch above the surrounding ground) and do not put any compost or mulch on top of it? What about mixing compost with the existing soil?

If the hole were to not drain properly do I use sand (what types should I use), perlite, or small gravel?
Dig your squarish hole slightly shallower than the depth of the soil in your pot. The ROOT FLARE must not be covered. The root flare is where the roots are first seen at the bottom of the trunk. An inch or two will be fine.

Drainage...........if your hole has not drained completely in 12 hours move to a different location. Putting sand or anything else into the hole will not make it drain.

As for the compost any TOP QUALITY compost will be fine. For mulch try to get a local hardwood mulch. Try to keep the compost and mulch off of the trunk of the tree. Spread the compost and mulch on a two foot radius from the tree using bricks or rocks or something to keep it from washing away in a heavy rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
When we plant a seedling or a sapling on the ground, we dig a wide and deep hole that later we fill with potting materials paricularly compost or whatever fertile material we can get hold of. So the bottom of the hole would contain another soil (taken from a different area) aside from the compost, around 3 inches maybe. And then the sapling is place in the middle and the sides would be filled up with another soil. That way, the sapling will grow naturally.. and fast.

Ask a Question