Planting in august?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I'm new to gardening and want to start a raised bed to plant some perennial fruits and vegetables (mostly berries.) I live in northern virginia. When researching, I found that most people recommend planting right after the last frost. Is it possible that I could plant them in august? I know I probably won't get fruit before the dormant season but just curious. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure but possibly with some organic root booster and maybe some liquid silicon would help them to get a decent footing. Then maybe some mulch to keep the roots warm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know about northern Virginia, But I would have expected something similar to England in terms of season, and it is summer and far too hot here to go moving things about, all the leaves would drop off at the very least. You want them to get established, and a lot of plants do most of their underground growth and settling in during the months when the top part is dormant, so planting in Autumn and giving them protection against frosts is not a terrible idea to my mind, tho someone with more local knowledge might say different. But I would wait until the top of the plant is settling down.
If you already have plants you could set them out and move them about to make sure you get exactly the right place when you do plant. Some plants may come as 'bare-rooted', in which case they are likely to be supplied at the correct time for planting. To my mind good nurseries wouldn't have plants for sale at the wrong time, but I bet some do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Screenshot_20220812-003001.png

Knowing your zone and matching a plant to that zone is practical and a reasonable place to start. It appears your area has a lot going on relative to the low temp experiences so here is a map to help sort you out. If you put your zone in your info it will help others understand the context of your questions better.

Ask a Question