Planting grass.

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
Its pretty baron and empty where I live. So I decided to plant grass and make a garden in the back. I tilled a section of land and planted some grass but all that ended up growing were small weeds. Theres a few small patches of grass that came up but not alot.

I was wondering if i just hadn't planted enough seed. How much seed should there be? Should the ground be coated or have it sown sparingly ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums!
Usually you use 1# of seed for 1000 square feet. Make sure to cover the seed with a top-dress and use a starter fertilizer. Give it a thorough soak and then keep the top inch or two moist but not swampy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what it is like your way, but over here there are several types of bird that love grass seed. Rather than top dressing to cover small seed I tend to gently stir it into the very top layer of earth, some will be too deep, some ends up on the surface, and some is at the perfect depth.

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
I don't know what it is like your way, but over here there are several types of bird that love grass seed. Rather than top dressing to cover small seed I tend to gently stir it into the very top layer of earth, some will be too deep, some ends up on the surface, and some is at the perfect depth.
Yeah, that's what I did. I'm thinking about overseeding as there is literally nothing but New Mexico dirt and some small weeds. Was reading that overseeing will choke out any weeds that try coming up after.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A quote from the link below:

TLDR: Too cold,dry, or alkaline for a start. Then desertification which they mean no organic matter etc.

"A young couple moves to NM from the East Coast (where it rains a lot), and buys 40 acres, hoping to live
a simple, sustainable life. They plow up the ground and break a bunch of equipment on rocks. They plant
corn and wait for the rain. It doesn’t rain, but the wind blows, carrying away tons or precious topsoil.
They decide to try raising livestock instead. They plant the barren field with grass seed, but the land
doesn’t produce enough grass to feed a single cow. They give up on ranching and decide to plant a small
garden, which they have just enough well water to irrigate. They add a bunch of lime and ash to the soil
(which works great in the acidic soils of the East), but this only makes their garden less productive
(because they just made an alkaline soil more alkaline). Finally, they ask their neighbor for advice. He
tells them that they are the third couple from out of state to waste their money and time on that
property. The couple gives up and moves away. Over time, native plants move back onto the land. Birds
nest in the shrubs and grasshoppers graze on the grass. Every once in a while, a pronghorn browses on a
shrub, or a hawk harvests a rodent from the land.

Before I launch into a discussion of New Mexico’s soils, I’ll pose this question: If a landscape doesn’t do
what we expect it to, is something wrong with the landscape, or is something wrong with our
expectations?"

This is one of those irritating links that wants to download a pdf file.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It may take mixing in significant amounts of organic matter to help hold moisture in the soil. Springtime is the best time to start a lawn due to milder temps. Check out an independent retail nursery to get the best info on lawns in your area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its pretty baron and empty where I live. So I decided to plant grass and make a garden in the back. I tilled a section of land and planted some grass but all that ended up growing were small weeds. Theres a few small patches of grass that came up but not alot.

I was wondering if i just hadn't planted enough seed. How much seed should there be? Should the ground be coated or have it sown sparingly ?
Type and amount of seed. Is the grass you planted good for the area?

Tilling and cleaning up a area is going to expose even more weed seeds.

Normally if a area is naturally “baron” it had some deficiencies.

Light , soil issues, to wet to dry.

Ask a Question