Planting for foliage

Reaction score
I really love the coleus's, coral bells, ornamental sweet potatoes, really, ANY of the plants that have exotic and colorful foliage. I am thinking of having a section of my garden dedicated to the colorful foliage plants. Do any of you have a specific area where you put nothing but the pretty leaf plants or do you mix and match throughout the garden?

Reaction score
Do any of you have a specific area where you put nothing but the pretty leaf plants or do you mix and match throughout the garden?

As the majority of my garden is designed around that of plants with stunning or striking foliage - I don't have any one particular area specially set aside for foliage plants - although I think that having one could add a wonderfully striking contrast to a garden that was predominantly made up of flowering plants.

Although there are many flowering plants that I love to see in the garden - my preference has always been for eye-catching foliage - as apart from the fact that foliage plants add structure and give year round interest to any garden - they can also totally transform it as they are what to me can bring a garden to life - as they add color, texture, shape and form and can be used as a focal point or as a contrast to other flowering plants - although saying - sometimes you are lucky enough to get the best of both worlds - a plant with bold striking foliage that has eye catching flowers too :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The coleus plant is one of my favorites, I have never thought of the plant as a pretty leaf plant. I always plant a large pot of coleus with multiple leaf colors in the front for interest and color.

Ask a Question