Planting a tree question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a River Birch today. Never planted anything in my life. I'm a little worried I missed a step. I removed the tree and it's soil from the plastic pot I bought it in, but I did not break up that soil. From what I heard, I should have. Will the tree grow like that? Or do I need to carefully dig it up and break up that soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted a River Birch today. Never planted anything in my life. I'm a little worried I missed a step. I removed the tree and it's soil from the plastic pot I bought it in, but I did not break up that soil. From what I heard, I should have. Will the tree grow like that? Or do I need to carefully dig it up and break up that soil?
It will be fine. The main thing about planting a tree is to not plant it too deep. Research "root flare" if you are not familiar with planting trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think it's best to break up the roots in the pot, but it's not necessary, especially if the roots were NOT root bound in the pot. However, what Chuck mentioned about burying the tree too deep is very important and if you did put it in too deep, than it would be worth it to go back and correct that, because tree will suffer if the bark is in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
you should plant the tree to the level of the soil already in the pot. even with the pot soil level. your hand should be able to glide straight from the pot level to the ground level. and I don't fuss with the roots, or break up the soil. unless it looks really pot bound then I may massage the roots some, and then make the hole wider, making sure nice loose soil is around the root area as I refill it in. I let what ever soil is on the roots alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
you should plant the tree to the level of the soil already in the pot. even with the pot soil level. your hand should be able to glide straight from the pot level to the ground level. and I don't fuss with the roots, or break up the soil. unless it looks really pot bound then I may massage the roots some, and then make the hole wider, making sure nice loose soil is around the root area as I refill it in. I let what ever soil is on the roots alone.
These days many if not most growers do not supervise the laborers or at least here in Texas they don't. ALWAYS check for the root flare before planting because most often the roots are buried too deep in the container. The simplest thing to do is remove the potting soil from the container so as to have the root flare exposed, then plant even with the soil.

Ask a Question