Planter boxes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Im planning to grow a few fruit/veggies in pots or boxes this year. We are looking to do Tomatoes, Bell Peppers and Strawberry's are all on the short list. I think the Tomatoes will have to go into a large pot with something to support it as it grows. Can Strawberry and Pepper be done in window boxes? I think the boxes were 30" long and maybe 6 or 8 deep and wide..

If using window boxes. how do they hold up? Seems they would deteriorate quickly with moist soil in them and it doesn't look like they have any type of coating inside. I would expect an epoxy or something to seal the moisture away from the wood. I can attach them to the rail of our deck where they will look nice and get good sun. Just want to make sure they have a shot at growing that way and will last more than a few months. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Strawberries would do fine. Tomatoes need at the least a five gallon container to do well; cherry tomatoes you can probably get by with smaller. Ditto the bell pepper... neither the tomatoes or peppers would do well in the window box you're describing. Herbs would be a good option though!

I have some vinyl planters I use for annuals... Lightweight and don't rot. I wouldn't get wood ones, even though they're prettier.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with @Beth_B, I wouldn't go with wood, either. (But it is prettier. :( )

How high is the rail on your deck? Or do you have a sturdy place you could hang a heavy planter? I've always thought these were kind of cool looking. Nice re-use of a bucket, too! (y)

th

I am not artistic enough to do this, but they are pretty. :D

997221918f06d026ffff8a9dffffe907.JPG

:) Disclaimer - These are not my pictures. :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got some plastic planters. To me the drainage holes look pretty big, like you would lose some soil through it. Does anyone put some screen material or something over them? Or is that a solution without a problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Solution without a problem. :)

You are over thinking this. Toss some little rocks or something at the bottom of the pot. Fill with soil. Plant shit.

Boom and done.

Ask a Question