Plant toxicity and use in an aquarium - Misc. Topic

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hope everyone is well.

I'd like to experiment with botanicals in a new 150L (40 Gallon) tank im setting up. Mostly going to have small schooling fish in it.

I would like to ask if anyone knows if pecan nut shells (Carya illinoinensis) and Moreton Bay Chestnut (Castanospermum australe) seed pods are safe to use in the aquarium?

I have previously used mulberry (Morus alba) leaves, leaves and flowers from various orchids which I grow as well as Guiana chestnut leaves (Pachira aquatica) in my tanks with success. But now I would like to diversify a bit.

I am aware of having to soak in saline, boil and dry the botanical before use.

I realise this is not strictly related to gardening, but I have had no luck finding an answer on fish keeping forums. I hope that there will some experts here who can help me.

Thank you.

All and any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did start to research this subject, but found it to be quite a complicated and long exercise. It did surprise me however, just how many items contain various poisons harmful to fish. You are plainly very wise to exercise caution. Hope you find your expert (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I understand that compounds from decomposing leaves, especially tannins, are added to (usually) freshwater aquaria for their possible antiseptic and acidifying effects. However while tannins can be released from many plant sources, the other accompanying plant chemistry can vary widely. If you already have a safe source for tannins, it is questionable what additional benefit you might obtain.
Of course, that would be the reason to perform an experiment. The chemistry and toxicology of many plants has been studied, though not necessarily as dilute leaf exudate in an aquatic system. Still, if you know a plant possesses highly toxic compounds, either water-solubable and otherwise, it would be good to proceed with extra caution. For example, the seeds of Moreton Bay Chestnut (Castanospermum australe) contain toxic, water-soluble saponins.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Interesting experiment. Are you aware of the toxicity of juglone found in black walnuts, hickories, and a lesser extent in pecans?

Vegetable gardeners are generally aware of this, especially black walnuts. If I had doubts, as mentioned by Tetters about caution, I personally would avoid the use of these in such an experiment.

Good luck on your experiment.

Last edited:

Ask a Question