Plant Suggestions for small patio side garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
(Newbie to the forum and to gardening.)

I have a small 4' x 16' (ish) area along one side of our patio. The patio has a ~ 3' brick wall around it. Along the outside that brick wall on one side of the patio I've planted 4 Gold Flame Honeysuckle with trellis for it climb. I've also picked up 6 Salvia Azurea yesterday to plant in front of the Honeysuckle. I don't know if I'll plant all of those in this area. I keep flip flopping as I browse for at least one more plant type to finish this area. It's a bit overwhelming learning about the details of many different types of plants. I'd like to plant something with the Salvia that blooms earlier in the year or -better- would be something that maintains blooms through most of the year that the Salvia could peak up through and contrast against, and sort of rein in the wilder look of the Salvia when it's not in bloom. Maybe something with a white bloom 1-3' tall. I was looking at something like Baptisia Alba, but I get conflicting info on whether it grows to 2' or to 4', and whether I should plant anything at all with the Salvia, but that's the latest idea I was pursuing. I would be very grateful for suggestions or ideas whether in line with the above or totally different.

Desirable characteristics for this area. Attract birds, hummingbirds, butterflies. Trying to use mostly native plants.

Full Sun.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome!

With your conditions and climate you have boundless possibilities, it seems, lucky you. :) Butterfly bush is the only thing that springs immediately to mind but I think it blooms mostly in late summer (at least around here.) And it gets rather tall. Or hibiscus, maybe? I'm in such a different growing region from you I'm not sure what to suggest other than browsing your local garden centers for what looks good.

Calling @ChanellG, who lives in your region and is very knowledgeable. ;)

Reaction score
Go check your local garden center, they should be able to help you out :) but before you go, maybe you should check out some succulents, I used to have a really tiny garden full of them, you don't need to invest a lot time and care on them, I think a small succulent garden is a good idea :) There are soooo many amazing looking succulent plants out there!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. I agree in your climate you do have a wider selection that will be able to give you the desired results. The best person to consult is your local nursery to help you choice a plant you will be happy with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Randy and welcome.

You mention that you are interested in attracting hummingbirds. Well, I think you are on target with your choice of Salvia Azurea. This is our second year growing this variety and let me tell you the hummingbirds seem to love it. I spent quite of bit of time admiring this plant this summer because of its location near the patio furniture in full sun. Everyday, I would see a humming bird. Not sure, if it was the same one or not. Still, it was quite lovely.

I am trying to think of a white plant that grows to your height specifications. Off the top of my head, none comes to mind. I will give it some more thought, but as suggested a trip to one of your local nursery wills show you what is available for immediate purchase, if you do not want to order online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have that flame honeysuckle! I also have lots of salvia, a few different pentas, guara, cone flower, herbs, passionflower, milkweed, angelonia... Of course I am in 9b, which is a bit warmer, but flowering evergreens and perennials are the best way to go.

To identify appropriate natives, you'll need to check with your local extension service.

Calling @ChanellG, who lives in your region and is very knowledgeable. ;)

You are too kind (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love trailing plants like snow in winter plant and and also ground phlox it grows over the wall and looks pretty hanging down .White daisys really look pretty growing up through the ground cover

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome Randy, I would check and see what your neighbors are grown and see if they can put you on the right path for planting what you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry if I cannot contribute much to the flowers because we are more interested in edibles here. But for flowering plants, my only suggestion is roses because the flowers are eye-catchers particularly the red ones. For edibles, if you care, try the ginger, garlic and onions. Their plants look like ornamental and we even have ginger in our front yard that is planted in the planter box beside an ornamental called sword plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Butterfly bushes would be my choice, and bottle brush if you can plant it where you are! I have seen several hummingbirds on her bottle brush flowers everyday I was visiting her in California.

Ask a Question