Plant shows on television

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
In your part of the world, do you have plant shows on television? From time to time, we would get local shows giving tips on how to grow and care for certain plants. These shows can be very informative. Although they may not always talk about the particular plants that you have, it is still interesting to watch. They may tell you how much water a certain plant needs, how to fertilize the soil, and such like, to get the best results. At times they would also give information on different kinds of fruit trees and how to grow and care for them. Reading books on different plants and trees can be helpful too.

Reaction score
Actually, good question! When I was little there were at least a couple plant TV shows, but it's been a while since that. I haven't seen any kind of gardening TV show :( It's a pity, but I think they no longer air any over here, too bad because they were too calming :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only watched gardening shows on TV, and are not aware of any FREE garden shows in my area. I agree, even with watching shows on television, there is always something I can learn about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
We have a couple that we get via PBS... our local Public Television station.

A Growing Passion - This is a really good show, regionally produced - regional availability.
http://agrowingpassion.com/#

Growing a Greener World - This is a good show, with a national orientation, should be on many PBS stations across the US. http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/

We used to have 1 other TV show that lasted a short season, it was created and produced by a local nursery, but as noted it didn't last but a partial season.

We used to have a fun radio show, but that changed as they tried to go national and I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it was never the same once they went national.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I always liked watching documentaries and shows on gardening/planting etc. I did not know about these two shows you mentioned. Maybe I will check them out when I get home. Do you know if they still air?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
The two I mentioned are currently on the air. The first is west coast only and the other is a national show.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK we Have Gardeners World It has been on BBC TV here for almost 50 years and will probable carry on for ever. Its a good show and covers all aspects of gardening with many different presenters running it from there own gardens & they have all put there own spin on it over the years. It is worth a watch & I'm sure you could find many of the shows on the Web. look it up. I strongly suggest it if you like Gardening Shows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't seen a gardening show in my area for years, I do watch Growing a greener world on line, I enjoy watching it even if I've seen a show before, The chef on there is funny but he knows his stuff.

Reaction score
In my home country I remembered there is a television show about plants and gardening that give and share information about people who had success stories on how they had managed to take care of a lovely and amazing plants and gardens. But here in the country where I migrated so far I do not see on television any plant show that I can watch to learn more about gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In your part of the world, do you have plant shows on television? From time to time, we would get local shows giving tips on how to grow and care for certain plants. These shows can be very informative. Although they may not always talk about the particular plants that you have, it is still interesting to watch. They may tell you how much water a certain plant needs, how to fertilize the soil, and such like, to get the best results. At times they would also give information on different kinds of fruit trees and how to grow and care for them. Reading books on different plants and trees can be helpful too.
Unfortunately, they went the way of actual cooking shows and such. They are no longer fashioanble. Now everything is a superficial contrived competitions, with as much 'drama' as the producers can script and almost no actual meat to the program (excuse the pun.) Otherwise it's all trash TV with stupid people setting poor examples of behavior. It seems the more yelling and screaming and fighting they can jam in there the better these days. No much good stuff anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Garden SMART is broadcast on local Public Broadcasting Stations (PBS) throughout the United States.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gardener's world someone has already mentioned. here in the UK we also have Ground Force, another general gardening program, and Your Garden made Perfect, which takes a near derelict garden and designs and builds a new garden in it. I think there are maybe some more on other channels, I tend to only watch the main four or five.

t watch

Ask a Question