Plant pot support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few herbs growing, but as they're now not in the plastic wrapping, they've began to droop all around the sides of the pot.
Is there an easy practical way to stop this?

This doesn't seem to happen with basil, but it does with thyme, chives and parsley.

I thought maybe use those wooden barbecue skewers with white string attached in a loop. However this doesn't seem very good, due to the fact that different seedlings of parsley are a different length. Therfore I can either tie the top, missing the shorter ones or the bottom, leaving the longer ones to still droop pretty much like before.
I suppose I could do both, but then it seems to be rather untidy, also I imagine I'll need to continually adjust the string as I harvest or as the plant grows.

Amy suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you can use a net but place it a bit below your pot. The smallest and bigger one will get its string. You can buy a white or colorful one and it will look beautiful and tidy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Incywincyspider Are you trying to grow herbs that you bought at the supermarket ? If so, it won`t work. I think they must get sprayed with something to stop the growth, and you can use them (washed) for a limited time.
If you want to grow herbs, they are easy from seed, with all the instructions on the packet. Alternatively it is well worth buying them from a reputable garden centre, to pot on or plant in the garden :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Incywincyspider Are you trying to grow herbs that you bought at the supermarket ? If so, it won`t work. I think they must get sprayed with something to stop the growth, and you can use them (washed) for a limited time.
If you want to grow herbs, they are easy from seed, with all the instructions on the packet. Alternatively it is well worth buying them from a reputable garden centre, to pot on or plant in the garden :)
Sorry I totally forgot about this thread. As I had to move.
But the chives totally grew! They were prolific!
That's why I had the problem. The grass became over 9 inches long then drooped over and sprawled all around the pot.
Hence requiring support to remain upright. Neat and tidy.

I don't see how a net would help...
I thought there might be a simple way to prop them up. But nothing I tried worked...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soil composition can become a potential problem when growing herbs. I have found that it is best to not use outside soil when growing herbs inside. The soil mixture I often use is half store bought potting soil and half organic medium made from coconut that I mix together. Herbs can be susceptible to additional problems when outside soil is brought in and so I recommend going with the store bought potting mixture every time. I wrote more about growing herbs here if interested.

Ask a Question