Plant Lighting for Small Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, here's the challenge:

Bedroom floor space is 7 x 9 feet (except for the alcove with the door, but we're not including that). Ceiling is about 8 and a half feet up. One 7 foot wall is free. Less than 3 feet away from the free wall is my queen bed, which takes up the entire room, save for the roughly 7 x 3 ft strip of floor that is basically just for walking from the bed to the door. Opposite the free wall is a large south-facing window, but because the bed is where most of the sun shines, I think supplemental light is needed.

So, plants can only go on the walls. I have a narrow built-in ledge at about head height that wraps around the room, and I have various schemes in mind for wall-mounted planters. I want to cram as many plants into my bedroom as possible, so that I'm essentially enclosed in four walls of plant life. A cozy, outside nature cave you could say.

I could get a bunch of one or two bulb T5 fixtures and run them along the walls, but this is really only going to allow me to arrange my plants in a straight line, at one height. Boring. I've got that look going right now along one wall, with succulents under the light sitting on the ledge. It's not ideal.

Am I crazy and stupid enough to think that in such a small space, it might be possible to do some kind of HID setup mounted to the ceiling that would cast light far enough to hit all the walls?. Or maybe two in a couple corners, perhaps angled toward the walls to increase the viable planting area? My issue with the T5s is that they must be placed so close to the plants, which really messes up the aesthetic. Even though HID setups are also ugly, they could be placed near the ceiling where it doesn't matter as much.

I know the reasonable thing to do would be to limit my plant selection to species that do well in lower light, but I'm quite simply not reasonable. If I can get even a few areas of wall space sufficiently lit, I could use low light plants in the darker areas and still have some flexible space for succulents and such.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

You want the lights a little closer to the plants, ideally. I would have thought your best bet would be to have the plants on shelves, and have lights on the underside of the shelf above. Alternatively how about glass shelves in front of your window?

growing-herbs-in-window-garden.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the glass shelves in the window idea. For the most part I'm looking for something less formal than shelves, more organic you could say, so I was looking for a way to adequately light a large area, free myself from the linear restrictions of most lighting options. Still, one set of shelves could be worked into my vision perhaps.

I know what I'm looking for is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone has done something somewhat similar.

What about choosing 2 or 3 larger sun loving plants that I could spot light with hanging lamps? If I had a couple nice "show stoppers" perhaps I could make my peace with the lower light plants making up the bulk of the greenery. Succulents could be cluttered amongst the focus plants, as well as window shelves. What would make a good spot light? CFLs seem like they could work, but I'm wondering what's the maximum distance away I could have them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's a poster here from Michigan who had a very elaborate indoor growing set up, I can't recall his name though. Jason something, maybe? Anyhow last summer he had at least one thread with photos and explainers.

Maybe someone else will remember who I'm talking about, or you could do a search.

I'm in Michigan as well; medical marijuana is legal here and there are tons of grow equipment stores which I assume carry lighting. That's something I've considered since my house is small and surrounded by trees. So far my indoor plants are all very shade tolerant. I like your idea of having a really green room.

Edit: Java Guy, and he has an indoor lighting thread in November 2015. It shows up on my end in the "similar threads" below this post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Becky! I'm posting from my mobile device and suck at copying links on it. ;) That's exactly the thread I was thinking of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Becky I would love to have that glass shelves in my bedroom window! Now you've gotten me dreaming :)

Ask a Question