Plant label suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm on a committee for a community garden and so the public often wanders in and wants to know what we are growing.So far we have a haphazard system for labeling plants, such as plastic tabs, popsicle sticks, ect. (Of course, some things are not labeled at all!) Does anyone have any suggestions for attractive, inexpensive and waterproof plant labels? Also, we need to make signs to explain some of our special projects. What would hold up well outdoors? Thanks!

Reaction score
When I had a large vegetable garden, I would cut strips from gallon plastic milk or bleach bottles and use a waterproof marker to label the different rows. It was inexpensive and an easy way to create little signs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Consider developing a folded paper map of the garden with numbers and lists showing the location and names of the various plants that you want to highlight. The maps can be kept dry in a a sheltered display cubby. You can encourage visitors to return the map or leave a small donation if they want to keep it. If maps are to be returned, they may be laminated as well. Also post a copy of the map on a nearby bulletin board or wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For writing labels I have tried various types of pen over the years and have found some work and some don't. Some pens which are advertised as 'Permanent marker' will stay waterproof, but fade under uv from sunlight, and it is impossible to predict which beforehand. Even when I thought I had discovered a brand the manufacturer will change the ink it seems.
Nowadays I use a nice soft pencil, graphite does not fade, I have dug up old markers from years back which are still legible.

I use wooden lolly sticks, what you call popsicle sticks I guess, I have used cut up white plastic containers in the past, some will take the writing, some it just slides off, but my main objection was losing bits of plastic in the garden, enough gets in there by accident.

Marck's idea is a good one and there is a degree of permanence and you are in one location, or maybe for the main bushes etc. and label the annuals in between?

Ask a Question