Plant is turning brown!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but my plant (money plant that I've had for 3 years) is starting to turn brown, I removed the soil and replaced it with fresh potting soil, and I water it everyday. Nothing seems to help! Does anyone know of a method to make it green again? I'd hate to see a 3-yearold plant die!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Take it you didn't see any grubs in the soil when you repotted it?

Might be a virus.

Is it getting enough light?

Reaction score
As there are several varieties of money tree plants, without a picture , its is very difficult to know which variety you are referring to and needing help with, but as the most popular named Money Tree Plant is this Crassula

Jade_V1.JPG

am assuming that this is the one. In which case I would say that the symptoms you are describing, sound like those of over watering or lack of drainage, by that I mean, that there may not be enough drainage holes in the bottom the pot, which would mean, that because the plant was frequently watered and the water was unable to drain out - the plant is permanently sitting in water, therefore making it turn brown.

The Crassula family are succulents, which means they require extremely good drainage and infrequent watering and then, only when the soil is dry, so I think, the fact that you have been watering your plant every day is the biggest problem, in which case the best thing to do is stop watering it and let the soil dry out, but also think, as you don't want to lose the plant, that it may also be a good idea, to make double sure that your plant pot has adequate drainage.

Reaction score
Take it you didn't see any grubs in the soil when you repotted it?

Might be a virus.

Is it getting enough light?
The soil looked perfectly fine before, but I was told from a friend of mine that it is healthy for the plant to have its potting soil changed every 3-4 months. I have repotted it before without any problems, but this is the first time it is turning brown/yellow. No leaves have fallen of though, not sure if that means anything.

Reaction score
As there are several varieties of money tree plants, without a picture , its is very difficult to know which variety you are referring to and needing help with, but as the most popular named Money Tree Plant is this Crassula

View attachment 1511

am assuming that this is the one. In which case I would say that the symptoms you are describing, sound like those of over watering or lack of drainage, by that I mean, that there may not be enough drainage holes in the bottom the pot, which would mean, that because the plant was frequently watered and the water was unable to drain out - the plant is permanently sitting in water, therefore making it turn brown.

The Crassula family are succulents, which means they require extremely good drainage and infrequent watering and then, only when the soil is dry, so I think, the fact that you have been watering your plant every day is the biggest problem, in which case the best thing to do is stop watering it and let the soil dry out, but also think, as you don't want to lose the plant, that it may also be a good idea, to make double sure that your plant pot has adequate drainage.
The money plant doesn't quite look like that. It is more of a vine than a plant, but I do understand what you are saying. I do tend to water it a lot, and should stop. I believe I do have another plant that is part of the Crassula family, so my best guess is that I should follow the same rules in terms of water drainage for the one as well. Most of the pots that I have don't have drainage holes, but whenever I pour water in the pot, it usually just sinks to the bottom. I'm not sure if that is going to kill the plant or not, What do you think?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but my plant (money plant that I've had for 3 years) is starting to turn brown, I removed the soil and replaced it with fresh potting soil, and I water it everyday. Nothing seems to help! Does anyone know of a method to make it green again? I'd hate to see a 3-yearold plant die!
Sounds like you are overwatering it. I'd get some leaves off of it or cuttings and root them, the plant sound like its nearly dead if its brown.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree it does sound like you are over watering the plant. Some times it does help to cut back the plant to stimulate knew growth. I have actually cut a plant back to about one foot to get it to start to grow. I talk to my plants and told this plant that if it wanted to die I was going to help it and pruned it which help the poor thing start to grow.

Reaction score
The money plant doesn't quite look like that. It is more of a vine than a plant, but I do understand what you are saying. I do tend to water it a lot, and should stop. I believe I do have another plant that is part of the Crassula family, so my best guess is that I should follow the same rules in terms of water drainage for the one as well. Most of the pots that I have don't have drainage holes, but whenever I pour water in the pot, it usually just sinks to the bottom. I'm not sure if that is going to kill the plant or not, What do you think?

I know which one you are meaning in that case, but I would say, whatever variety a plant is, unless it is one that only thrives in water, they all need good drainage and the fact that none of your pots have drainage holes in them and you water them everyday, is very likely to be the main reason, why your plant is turning brown and dying.

As I've just mentioned, all plants need good drainage and if using pots, it is even more important to make sure that they have good drainage, by placing small crocks, pebbles or gravel in the bottom plus making sure that there are plenty of drainage holes in the bottom, in order to make that your plant has adequate drainage, failing to do that, means that every time you water your plants, because there is nowhere for the water to go - your plant will permanently be sitting in water, which eventually kills the root and leads to the total demise of the plant.

I know it probably sounds like quite a bit of extra work, but I think if you wish to save your plants - the only option - is to re-pot them into pots with plenty of drainage and water them less frequently.

Ask a Question