Plant infested, help please

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
My plant has these bugs on them. How to get rid of it? It is only on certain plants, should I get rid of the infested ones or can I use something to save these?

Attachments

• bugs on plants.jpg
    bugs on plants.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Bugsonplants(2).jpg
    Bugsonplants(2).jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,
My plant has these bugs on them. How to get rid of it? It is only on certain plants, should I get rid of the infested ones or can I use something to save these?
From the pics I can't tell exactly what they are. If you shake the plant do they all fly up. If so it is whitefly. If they don't fly up do they look like lint or cotton? If so they are early stage mealy bugs. If they are whitefly use spinosad and if mealy bugs use Neem.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like aphids. if so, I've heard you can spray them with water to get them off, or also use a mild solution of water and soap. I've never had them, but I'm sure it won't be long before I do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
They look like aphids to me too. You need some lady beetles if they are aphids. The lady beetles can clean that mess up in no time. Just washing them off doesn't kill them and they will be right back. First check to see if there are any Lady Beetles on the plant and if so do nothing but allow the Lady Beetles and/or their larvae to eat them up. If you don't see any Lady Beetles around, you can spray with a sudsy mix of dish soap (Ivory soap is good). This will not just wash them off but kill them in the process so they don't return.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
it looks like white fly to me .. insecticidal soap works really good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It looks like there are both white flies and red aphids. The red aphids are along most of the plant's stems and appear to significantly out number the few white flies that can be seen on some of the leaves. Both are sucking insects that can be easily treated. Look to see if Lady Beetles are present. They will eat both white flies and aphids. If there are no Lady Beetles around spray with soapy water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all. I am going to take a close up picture and wash it with water. Will report back the results.

Reaction score
Country
United States
washing did not work, the insects were clinging to the plant and refused to budge. I bought a natural insecticide from the store, just finished spraying. Hopefully, this should take care of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Looks like aphids. if so, I've heard you can spray them with water to get them off, or also use a mild solution of water and soap. I've never had them, but I'm sure it won't be long before I do.

That's also my advice when it comes to aphids. You can first try hosing down the pests with water spray. Do it twice a day until the pests are gone or until 3 days. On the 4th day, I guess you need a mild solution of liquid dishwashing soap mixed with water. Spray it on the affected part and let it stay for 5 to 10 minutes then wash if off with water, hosing is okay. Some plants wither when the liquid dish washing soap is not washed off. Pepper is one such delicate plant.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
These should be aphids or a similar variety of plant sucking insects. Chemical sprays are very effective against them but you can make your own. You can mix hot pepper, mexican marigold leaves and other plants like tobacco or even pyrethrum with high alkaloid content with water and heat. Toss in a piece of bar soap to dissolve in the hot mixture. This will act as a carrier and adhesive for longer action after spraying. You can also introduce ladybirds amongst the bushes to feed on the aphids.

Ask a Question