Plant identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Might be a daft question. I moved into a new house and this plant was in garden, I think it has died, but if anyone knows what plant it is as I am going to replace it!

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• 20210802_163323.jpg
    20210802_163323.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like the seed head on a clematis of some kind, and is probably not dead at all. Did you see any flower on it?
If you have only just moved into this house/garden I would strongly advise you to leave all the plants alone for a year and wait to see what there is before ripping stuff out. You might be in for some really good surprises. Your first year would be best for keeping things tidy, cutting back any stuff that has died off and keeping weeds at bay. Don't lose potential treasures - unless of course you are super rich and just don't care :giggle:

As far as early flowering clematis goes, it needs to be pruned back - it should have been cut soon after flowering so that it makes new growth during the summer for next years display. There's still a month or two for that to happen, so worth giving it a chop now, then wait and see what happens.

PS Prune down to about a foot above ground level (y)

Ask a Question