Plant id please

Reaction score
Does anyone know what these are?
They have come up in our (new to us) garden and I've never seen them before. Are they some sort of lily? They look rather exotic to me.

DSCF4781.JPG

Reaction score
Fritillaria imperialis. They smell a bit 'foxy' There are yellow ones & orange too. Bone hardy. One of my favourites. That is a super display you have inherited.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the ID. They have come up in a rather unsuitable place. Can I move them once they have finished flowering or should I wait until the autumn? Also how can I propagate them - can I take the seeds or split them when I move them?

Reaction score
Wow they look stunning.. I would love to have flowers like those. :) I have never seen Fritillaria imperialis before.

Reaction score
Yes, they move happily. The seed heads are quite attractive but if you need to build up the bulbs just nip them out. The foliage grows old quite gracefully & doesn't flop like daffodils. Wait until the stems are just brown ( so that you know where they still are) Then dig carefully down. They are very big bulbs, about the size of a baking apple & they will be anything up to 40cms down. If you damage them a bit they can cope. The big ones you just either replant at the same depth or dry off & the 'babies' you just pot up & they will grow on to flower in a couple of years. Good luck. They are well worth the time. Jacques Armand bulb company stocks the other colours & other types of Fritillaria too. Very tempting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Gosh, those are just some stunning flowers ! I have never seen anything like them before, so I am glad that there are gardener s on here that did know what they were. The yellow ones are beautiful ,too. If I find some at Lowes, I am certainly going to get a start of some of them. Good luck with the moving of the bulbs once they quit blossoming, and you dig them up.

Reaction score
Those are beautiful flowers! I wish they came here in my garden :) Is that snow on them? Looks like they handle the cooler temps well.

I have never seen these before anywhere here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know what these are?
They have come up in our (new to us) garden and I've never seen them before. Are they some sort of lily? They look rather exotic to me.

View attachment 484
The Crown Imperial Fritillary (Fritillaria imperialis), in the Lily Family (Liliaceae), is native to parts of Anatolia, Caucasia, Iraq, Iran ,Afghanistan, Pakistan and northwestern India. In nature, the flowers are orange-red and pollinated by birds, but in cultivation, lighter orange and yellow forms are also grown. Plants can grow to over a meter in height, making it among the largest of Fritillaries.

Ask a Question