Plant House

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
image.jpg
Originally, I was going to build a greenhouse.... Until I realized it isn't really necessary in our mild to hot climate. But, I still needed to keep pests and my dogs out so I can finally start growing my own food. I also need to store milkweed that the butterflies can't get to in case the caterpillars eat through all the leaves I have planted. I don't want to use pesticides. It isn't perfect, but considering I had no plans and have never built anything with studs, I'm happy with the results. I made a potato row inside yesterday with organic certified red seed potatoes, started avocado seeds that began rooting on day 1, and got a couple fruit trees (my mind can rest not worrying as much about those invasive citrus pests from Asia. Lol) today I will plant everything I like to put in my salads. I think I will make a smaller version with wire and get some chickens next :)
It was really inexpensive to make, although I would have liked to see a cheaper price tag on the screen. Still need to build shelves...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Very nice, wish I could do something like that but we have to much weather and growing habitat is shaky at best

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
It looks better than I could do, if it was something I made i'd have a serious tip or lean going already. I'm going to re purpose an older fabric - tent type greenhouse into something similar. I'm going to keep the frame and cover it with shade cloth. I have the cloth ordered, just need some free time. I do like the traditional framed look of yours, very nice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quite impressive for someone with no carpentry experience. It looks like something that might have come from a kit.

I do have carpentry experience and I still couldn't make something look that good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a beautiful plant house!!!:) You did a wonderful job, Hummingbird. How long did it take you to build it? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for all the materials?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Bravo! Isn't it such a satisfying feeling to complete a project, especially one that you always dreamed of doing! You did a excellent job getting those angles in your construction and you even made a door!

I hear you about wishing some of the material was less expensive; nevertheless, think of all the money you saved by doing all the work yourself! Plus, think of it like an investment, you can use year after year!

I agree about not wanting to use pesticides. You certainly are going to have some delicious meals prepared in the upcoming months. What really caught my interest is your avocado seeds. I love avocado's, yet never planted any. I am wondering, how long do they take to grow?

Reaction score
That looks amazing!!!! I wish I could build a couple of those at home :) I might get a small greenhouse to grow my chilies and tomatillos in, but we will see how it everything goes once we finish working on the house (we still need a bathroom upstairs. I can only hope :) You plant house looks very nice! You must be really talented with your hands, not many can do that (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
View attachment 5010 Originally, I was going to build a greenhouse.... Until I realized it isn't really necessary in our mild to hot climate. But, I still needed to keep pests and my dogs out so I can finally start growing my own food. I also need to store milkweed that the butterflies can't get to in case the caterpillars eat through all the leaves I have planted. I don't want to use pesticides. It isn't perfect, but considering I had no plans and have never built anything with studs, I'm happy with the results. I made a potato row inside yesterday with organic certified red seed potatoes, started avocado seeds that began rooting on day 1, and got a couple fruit trees (my mind can rest not worrying as much about those invasive citrus pests from Asia. Lol) today I will plant everything I like to put in my salads. I think I will make a smaller version with wire and get some chickens next :)
It was really inexpensive to make, although I would have liked to see a cheaper price tag on the screen. Still need to build shelves...
Looks great Hummingbird(y) I'd not thought of it being used to protect veggies from pests. I tried broccoli and peppers once but they did get eaten do I haven't tried again. Food for thought! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks very nice and will function great for you! In my area, to have something like yours, we need to obtain a permit and my yard is too small for it. I wish I have one to keep all the critter and my dog out too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have seen so many greenhouses, big ones, small ones, cheap, elegant, but this is the first time I've heard of plant house. Well, it is screened so I guess it would prevent the coming in of insects and probably birds as well. But to think that a screened plant house like that costs a lot to build and the space for the plants is small. I still prefer a greenhouse.

Ask a Question