Plant Evolution: Vining

Is this possible?

• Yes! Go for it !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possible, but, not in your lifetime (or without lab equipment)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So here's what I want a to accomplish: I would like to train a non vining plant to grow like a grape vine(as closely as possible) . I do realize that we could basically "train" the plant to look vine like, but, here is where it gets tricky.

What I want to do hopefully have the plants pass down these traits to future generations. In a sense, I would be training the plants to grow as vines generation after generation, hoping for this trait to eventually develop naturally.

I'm not sure if this is even how it works, but, is an experiment I want to try.

Would a species eventually evolve to survive it's conditions ? In this case, we are tricking the plant into think it needs to grow as a vine to fit in tight spaces.

Any thoughts on this? Resources would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think Charles Darwin has studied this somewhat in his Theory of Evolution. Plants, animals, fungi, bacteria all evolve to survive but this takes millennia to accomplish. Of course these days things can be speeded up somewhat by gene spicing and genetic engenerring. I think training a corn stalk to trail along a fence and have a bunchs of ears will take some time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think Charles Darwin has studied this somewhat in his Theory of Evolution. Plants, animals, fungi, bacteria all evolve to survive but this takes millennia to accomplish. Of course these days things can be speeded up somewhat by gene spicing and genetic engenerring. I think training a corn stalk to trail along a fence and have a bunchs of ears will take some time

When you say some time, how long are we talking? Let's say we have a fruit/vegetable that produces within 90 days (including ripe fruit and usable seeds)? Theoretically, I could get 3-4 generations per year. Any indication on how long it takes for something like this to be influenced naturally ?

What about taking clones? Would this help at all -- or would each generation have to be by seed?

Additionally, is there any sort of "DNA kit" that would allow me to manipulate DNA? Of course, I understand, I would have not a clue what I was doing initially, but, even accidents happen -- and it never hurts to try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you say some time, how long are we talking? Let's say we have a fruit/vegetable that produces within 90 days (including ripe fruit and usable seeds)? Theoretically, I could get 3-4 generations per year. Any indication on how long it takes for something like this to be influenced naturally ?

What about taking clones? Would this help at all -- or would each generation have to be by seed?

Additionally, is there any sort of "DNA kit" that would allow me to manipulate DNA? Of course, I understand, I would have not a clue what I was doing initially, but, even accidents happen -- and it never hurts to try.
Slowly change the environment................a few thousand years instead of hundreds of thousands. Perhaps you should study molecular biology

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am just a poor old redneck country cowboy not a Docter of Molecular Engineering but I did check your links. They seem to be what they are but I think you forgot to read the fine print. They are only for universities and research centers. I somehow don't think you can do genetic modification in your kitchen sink or in a greenhouse either. Perhaps when you get a doctorate you can convince some big chemical company like Monsanto or even the government to give you a grant of a few million

Ask a Question