Pinterest for garden info and ideas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I now have a new passtime. The problem is it's one of those things that once you start, it's hard to stop! If you have a Pinterest account, you already know what I am talking about. If you don't, you'll soon want one. I've found so many great things on there already, I have to force myself to close the browser window and move on so as not to waste the entire day away.

Just check out this page that shows some of the different boards people have created to pin gardening related ideas: http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=garden

So many great ideas, so little time to look through all of them, lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you very much, now I have a new addiction:p . I've never heard of Pinterest before, it's such a great site. I love it! I already found some inspirations there:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ROFLOL! Danni, blame the forums, lol. We are all always looking for images to illustrate the things we are discussing. Recently, when I'd find a great example of something it would turn out to have been a pin to someone's board. I just couldn't resist it anymore, lol.

I am hoping it will be like Facebook, where in the beginning you spend a lot of time setting stuff up and then after a few weeks you go on less. I resisted FB for a couple of years and I was all set to live without Pinterest. Then I saw a couple of boards and thought, "these are great!"

I still took a few days before I started to set up any of my own or even thought of what kind of things I would want to post to boards, but now I am hooked! I wish I had seen your Square foot board before yesterday - say a neat chicken coop you'd probably love!

I can't find it now, of course, but you might find one of these interesting: http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=chicken+coop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Dhrynio, I've found so many beautiful and inspirational pictures in your gardening board, it's great!:D
ChanellG, some of these chicken coops are amazing. I love the one that looks like a little house:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes Claudine, some of them are amazing! I finally found the one I was looking for (thanks to Google, no less.) Here it is: http://pinterest.com/pin/15903404905473529/

I like the design and that they don't take up a lot of space. These have pigeons though, so maybe it's not the best idea for chickens?

Reaction score
When I first started on Pinterest I was on all the time, then I got my boards set up, stopped being so awestruck by all the new stuff and now I look quickly at what my friends pinned and look things up when I am looking for something specific. The love affair does fade a bit after a while, so there is hope Chanell!

I also love the chicken coop one, I long for chickens!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is good to know Danni, because if I go on there chances are I'm not going to get much else done, lol. It also doesn't help that they email you when people repin or follow you! Of course when that happens I have to go and see what good stuff those people may have pinned. Right now I have a couple tabs open in another window waiting for my perusal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine that was a neat coop. The one I liked best was a miniature replica of a house. Fancy digs for a few birds, lol, but a good way to disguise an urban coop.

The moss is indeed gorgeous! I have re-pinned and am now following that user's entire board (One day in my yard).

Reaction score
I was on pintrest but never did really like the site as i am not so much of a social networking person. However, I do look for ideas on pinterest at times. Thanks for posting that link Chanell. Keep sharing :D

Reaction score
That is good to know Danni, because if I go on there chances are I'm not going to get much else done, lol. It also doesn't help that they email you when people repin or follow you! Of course when that happens I have to go and see what good stuff those people may have pinned. Right now I have a couple tabs open in another window waiting for my perusal.
You can fix that!! When you log in, hover over your picture on the top right, then click on Settings. It will say
Edit Account Settings.

Just to the right of Email Address there is a box that says Email Settings. Click that and you can choose what you want to be alerted by email!

I don't get emailed anything and I like it that way. I get enough emails and don't need to be alerted every time something happens on Pinterest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, that surprises me. I would think you would enjoy saving ideas for gardening and other things that you liked. I don't see Pinterest as a social site; you can post comments, but there seems to be very little interaction other than people repinning or following others' boards.

@Danni, the emails don't bother me. I actually like seeing what other people have pinned. If they repin me, chances are there is stuff on their boards I would also be interested in. I have found so much great stuff just in the last 24 hours!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Since I started this thread last year, I have amassed a huge collection of pins on many facets of gardening. I would seriously encourage anyone who isn't using it yet to give it a try.

Ask a Question