Pink "Naked Lady" Flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A few years ago, when I lived in a different home, I had these flowers come up randomly that I had not planted. They looked somewhat like light pink colored lilies but the blooms were turned downward. There were no leaves at all on the plants and they were straight, green, narrow stalks.
I have since seen these growing along side the road in different areas and would love to be able to plant some on our property we live on now. My neighbor told me they were called Naked Lady flowers because they do not have any leaves. Do any of you know what these are and what they are actually called? I have not been able to find them anywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Um... what flowers? Had you intended to share a photo or are you asking if anyone knows about naked ladies? In the case of the latter, there is a pink lily commonly referred to as naked lady.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, I was wondering if that was actually what they were called and if they were a type of lily. I didn't know if that was the actual name of them because my neighbor said she had always heard them called that, but wasn't sure if that was the actual name of them. They sure are pretty though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They were introduced to me as naked lady. Mine have yet to bloom, I suppose they were immature when I received them (maybe 2 years ago). I have seen them referenced in a gardening book, but until now only known them as naked ladies. A google search just now showed they are also known as Belladonna.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Hi! Naked Lady flowers are a type of Lily like you assumed. They're close to the Surprise Lilly, Pop Up Lilly, or Resurrection Lilly. They do grow from a bulb. They prefer sun and are unique in the way they bloom before foliage appears.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The Naked Ladies I've seen have foliage that shoots up in early Spring (right now) and the blooms won't happen until much later, long after the foliage has died off.

Be sure to filter your searches if you want to search images of this plant, or the naked ladies you see may not be what you were looking for! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For some reason around these parts the red spider lily has been called a naked lady

Attachments

• PXL_20210907_213010512_resize_70.jpg
    PXL_20210907_213010512_resize_70.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210918_171734864_resize_68.jpg
    PXL_20210918_171734864_resize_68.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210918_171613341_resize_56.jpg
    PXL_20210918_171613341_resize_56.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Colchicums are also called Naked Ladies. They flower now and get their leaves in Spring. There are also a fair number of Crocus which flower now as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
'Naked Ladies' is a common name wide applied and thus prone to cause confusion. Numerous bulbous plants that produce their flowers (ladies) in the absence of leaves (naked) are thus so called.

An incomplete list would include: x Amarygia spp., x Amarine spp., Amaryllis belladonna, Brunsvigia spp. Nerine spp., Lycoris radiata, Lycoris squamigera, Colchicum spp., etc.

The listed plants are all in the Amaryllis family (Amaryllidaceae), with the exception of Colchicum (Colchicaceae).

Hippeastrum spp. could probably be called naked ladies as well, though I found no record of this. However they are prone to cause anotheer confusion as Hippeastrum are what many people refer to by the common name 'Amaryllis'!

Ask a Question