Pineapple Problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, first post here! I am struggling with my white pineapple, and desperately need help. I attached a picture. I planted the top last August and it survived the cold "winter" in my garage (9B). I've tried different fertilizers (fish, sea grow 16-16-16, leaves and soil), more water, less water, but the leaves are really red, and it is getting worse.

I'm not a stranger to tropicals. I'm trying to grow a bunch of stuff including achacha, jaboticaba, pitangatuba, guavas, and others, all in containers. My passionfruits have gone crazy here and I also have my normal garden of 30 tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc. I mention this to give an idea of my climate.

Any ideas what to try? Soil pH is around neutral, which I will try to lower. I was planning to use citric acid. I was thinking perhaps to much sun, but I thought they love sun. I really want to get this thing to grow. I appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• 20220618_073112.jpg
    20220618_073112.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, first post here! I am struggling with my white pineapple, and desperately need help. I attached a picture. I planted the top last August and it survived the cold "winter" in my garage (9B). I've tried different fertilizers (fish, sea grow 16-16-16, leaves and soil), more water, less water, but the leaves are really red, and it is getting worse.

I'm not a stranger to tropicals. I'm trying to grow a bunch of stuff including achacha, jaboticaba, pitangatuba, guavas, and others, all in containers. My passionfruits have gone crazy here and I also have my normal garden of 30 tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc. I mention this to give an idea of my climate.

Any ideas what to try? Soil pH is around neutral, which I will try to lower. I was planning to use citric acid. I was thinking perhaps to much sun, but I thought they love sun. I really want to get this thing to grow. I appreciate any advice!

Pineapple (Ananas Comosus)

If you’re thinking of growing yourself a fresh pineapple, it is possible :) Ananas comosus can be grown as an indoor plant. But remember, indoor plants rarely tend to produce tasty fruits :notworthy:. Fruits on indoor plants are there to look aesthetically pleasing. If you plan on eating the fruits, consider growing them in a back garden if you live in tropical climates (USDA zones 10-12).
Pineapple (Ananas ComosusI is usually propagated by planting the crown in moist soil—the top part of the fruit, with small, fleshy leaves. Cut off the crown and remove the leaves (or twist and pull). Allow the cutting to rest for a few days to stop the sap bleeding. Then, plant it in a pot of moist soil and put the pot somewhere with bright, indirect light. The cutting will sprout roots, and a new plant will grow.
While planting the crown is the most common, you can also grow a new plant using suckers, slips, or hapas. These are different names for the parts of a pineapple plant. You can plant each one after they are air-dried.
I hope this will help you.
You can go through the complete details provided under.

Also here is the video that explains how to grow and take care of your Pineapple Plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Thanks for the reply! On another forum I got great advice from a highly technical member. The plant has recovered and I am learning a ton.
20220718_080204.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, this is for sure a white pineapple, I believe also called "sugarloaf". It is exquisite. It was doing quite well but unfortunately got crown rot and died. However, I was fortunate to get a sucker so I planted it in much better suited soil and essentually starting over but with many lessons learned. I won't give up!

Ask a Question