Photobucket Scam

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Seems like Photobucket.com changed their terms of service a couple days ago, making one pay quite a bit of money for the privilege of "3rd Party Hosting", i.e. sharing photos.

I just received the email, so I looked into it and there are others that have posted about this freakin' scam, see here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5671481

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

I think I want to find another photo website. I was getting sick of photobucket anyway, since there are so many ads that it makes it very tough just to do basic tasks on the website. Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ek6Ep7z.jpg

This is with Imgur.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have just been uploading from my phone. Is that the wrong way to do it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
As long as the url remain same (if URL changes the whole thread might be useless i.e. someone post about a plant for ID and the image does not show up after sometimes ) no problem using third party image hosting site, I guess!, Btw we should ask Ian about the storage, not sure though which will be better directly uploading or using link from third party.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They've blocked me from using nearly 20 years worth of photos :cautious:

Plus they've taken down most of the pics on my website.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
to my knowledge nothing happened with mine yet. was just on, and all appeared normal.
Did you get the email saying you can't share your pics unless you become a plus 500 member?

I've noticed my pics are still up, but at the same time I've notice on many websites numerous photobucket pics have been replaced with the same dummy image shown here: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

I don't know what's up with that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The only problem I'm having is, even tho I'm signed in, I have to sign in again in order to upload photos. Other than that, everything seems to be normal.
*Probably just jinxed myself*

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Did you get the email saying you can't share your pics unless you become a plus 500 member?

I've noticed my pics are still up, but at the same time I've notice on many websites numerous photobucket pics have been replaced with the same dummy image shown here: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

I don't know what's up with that.
don't recall getting that email. but I usually download if I need them. have not tried sharing come to think about it in a while. now that I have my new computer, I am uploading on this all the time. and probably will thumb it at some point. I do use photobucket for cell pixs. but then again I down load from that also when I do to this computer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
They're trying to scam me as well. One day they my bucket is 73%, next time I login it says my bucket is 768% full. They demand hundreds of dollars for up grade and I in turn fired off a nasty email to them. They can keep my pictures hostage and they can take them down the toilet with their company.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
They can keep my pictures hostage and they can take them down the toilet with their company.
And probably they are well covered by their terms of service, which in reality few people read. Hopefully people will learn with this incident and not trust in online storage services, especially when it is free; and make backups, not keep everything in one place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Yes splinx, that is why I told them to keep my pics, because I do have them all elsewhere and I did read the terms when I joined years ago, they can change there terms and I wouldn't have joined photobucket but for a certain large gardening site advising me to.

Ask a Question