Photo to help identify poison oak, ivy and sumac


Pat

Joined
Oct 12, 2012
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
566
Location
Maryland
Country
United States
I don't know what the poison plants look like that need to be avoided, I know their is one in my yard., I think it is poison ivy. I saw this picture to help identify plants and thought others would appreciate a reminder to identify these plants.

upload_2014-6-28_8-11-44.jpeg
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Oct 30, 2013
Messages
859
Reaction score
168
Location
Connecticut USA
I am well acquainted with poison ivy but not so much with the others. A friend of mine showed me the poison sumac this spring but otherwise I haven't encountered it much.
 
Joined
Jun 19, 2014
Messages
137
Reaction score
12
These really help, I am severely allergic to poison oak and even looking at the pictures makes me itch. The last time I got it, the palms of my hands would itch. It was weird and horrible at the same time. I will have to really study these to make sure I don't go near them.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
5,377
Reaction score
1,814
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing these pictures, it's very helpful. Fortunately, none of these poisonous plants grow in my garden. The only dangerous plant that I decided to keep is lily of the valley. I love its scent, I wouldn't be happy without it.
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2013
Messages
545
Reaction score
121
Location
NC
Thank you for these pictures. We have plenty of poison ivy that I recognize easily. Now I need to acquaint myself with the sumac and oak to be sure what I am near. My youngest son Adam can just look at the stuff and get covered in it. He is walking around right now covered in pink Calamine lotion all over from being outside yesterday.
 
Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Messages
3,391
Reaction score
946
Wow, that's a very useful guide! Thanks for sharing this with us, it's good to know what those look like. I believe I have seen poison ivy before, luckily I have never touched it.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Messages
155
Reaction score
52
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
We get poison ivy often in the yard. What I don't understand is- are there people that are not affected by Poison Ivy? i am always very careful when I pull it out, I wear gloves that I dispose of and make sure that I eradicate it completely. I have never had a problem with getting itchy or anything like that. Now my son that does landscaping as his job just pulls it out, no gloves nothing. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I told him you know thats poison ivy right? he said Oh that stuff crops up all over the place, I just rip it out and throw it away. Is it possible to become immune to the oils? or is this like some spider bites that some people are affected and some are not?
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Sep 10, 2014
Messages
2,785
Reaction score
3,914
Location
central Texas
Showcase(s):
1
Country
United States
Mockingbird, some folks are sensitive to poison ivy, others not. A person can develop a sensitivity if exposed to a massive dose, or if their body chemistry changes over time.
I was never sensitive to poison ivy until my husband and I ripped a two-story vine off our first home (not kidding, the thing had a trunk, not a stem!) and after that, I get bumpy, red, and itchy if I come in contact with it.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top