Philodendron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got one of these plants from my grandma and when I got it there were only two little leaves and it didn't look very healthy. My cat decided to bite off three leaves a few months ago and it has barely grown since then. It only has two leaves plus the leftovers of the three my cat bit off. Is this normal for the plant to grow this slow? I have had it for awhile and it has barely grown. It is right in front of my patio sliding door and it gets a fair amount of sun. Should I fertilize it?

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
sometimes they do seem to grow slow. If it is not being watered enough, they will slow down growth to save on energy and still thrive.
fertilize it during the growing season, every couple of weeks. If it has been in the same soil for a while now, give it a new pot that's a little bit larger and some fresh soil. You will likely see it perk up and grow.

Ask a Question