Pests! Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed these little bugs on a few of my plants, they’ve already claimed the soul of one of them. I’ve repot this and have been wiping them off of the leaves of this one daily but they keep coming back! Is anyone able to help me identify them so I can try a more targeted approach??

Attachments

• 5D6F43E4-B711-42F6-BF2E-77908AC41811.jpeg
    5D6F43E4-B711-42F6-BF2E-77908AC41811.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I find it rather difficult to see these clearly even when enlarging the picture. Is there any sign of small white flies around the plants? These could be eggs or nymphs of white fly.
If we can determine what they actually are, we can work out the best way to get rid (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No sign of any flies and it’s been a few weeks since I spotted them on the first plant. The best way to describe them would be tiny whitish/yellow, maggot/worm things that wriggle when the leaf is disturbed. They seem to be drinking the nutrients from the leaves, making them turn yellow. The closest I’ve been able to guess is thrips but the lack of flies suggests otherwise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are spot on @Soapy764 and it is the flying creatures that give the game away on white fly. It has to be thrips then, and the sooner you are on top of the problem the better. Rather than dousing your plants with poison, I suggest you get some neem oil.
As an opener, tepid water and washing up soap sprayed on, as I guess you are already doing. We found that the subsequent use of neem oil then is very beneficial.
Hope it works well for you, and by the way ....Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I copied this for you ( I'm too lazy to write it all out)

For making 1l of a basic, mild 0,5% neem oil spray, you will need:

1-quart (1l) of warm water

1 teaspoon (5ml) of neem oil.

⅓ tsp (1-2ml) of mild liquid soap, insecticidal soap or another mild detergent. Other sources say that 1 tsp of soap is also fine.

Mix water and soap in a closed bottle and shake well so the soap is fully dissolved. Add the neem oil, and shake again.

The concentration of 0,5-1% is the most common for general and regular garden use, although you can experiment with 2% sprays if you think you need a stronger solution.

https://www.trees.com/gardening-and-landscaping/neem-oil this link will take you to the site :)

Ask a Question