Pests allowed?

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I've been planting mint, Basel and garlic. And I'm worried about the pests they might attract. What are the most common pests in these herbs and how to treat them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
In my zone 5 in Canada, absolutely nothing attacks any of the three. I grow all three, mint is a perennial, the other two thrive in my climate as annuals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't know any pest that attack garlic for to me, garlic seems an insect repellent. Even the leaves of garlic has that peculiar tangy odor that I'm sure would repel insects. With mint, I also don't seen any pests. We have the mint in the front yard for many years now, easy to grow even with just a little water and no bother with pests. But with basil, I have no knowledge because we don't have basil in our garden. And from what I remember, the gardener in the orchard said that herbs are normally free from pests maybe because of their natural odor that repels insects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I give my dog chocolate mint leaves to eat, and he is fine. Now, you must know that my dog has a very sensitive stomach, and he will have a reaction if anything doesn't sit right with him.

I haven't tried given him basil since I didn't have none last year. This year I have some growing in the containers, and he likes to sniff the smell of basil.

Garlic, on the hand, I have read somewhere that it isn't good for dog! I urge you to do some searches on this subject if you want to make sure your pets are fine with it.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
These herbs have alkaloids which are chemical compounds from the process of photosynthesis. They are usually in high concentrations in herbs meaning that pests would not be attracted to these herbs. Since pests have a larger surface area to volume ratio, they are easily knocked off by these compounds meaning that they are basically pest free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Slugs and snails would eat the basil. I know that from experience. Snails LOOOVE basil. They would eat in in the afternoon which is weird because they are awake at night, and sleep in day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I grow basil, mint (like Durgan, my mint comes up every year and spreads like a weed) and not garlic but onions every year. Nothing attacks any of these plants where I live.

Don't worry, be happy. :)

Ask a Question