Pesticides

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys and gals,
I have been perusing the forums just trying to get all caught up and came across a thread about using organic pesticides. I just recently purchased a bottle of Monterey Spinosad that was suggested by @Chuck well he didn't recommend Monterey but the Spinosad he did. In the same thread there were two other must have pesticides being Bacillus thuringensis and Neem oil extract. I guess I should probably have both of these on hand, just in case. So my questions are, is the Monterey brand a good brand and how often should I use these? Should I only use them if I see a problem, or should I cycle them on a schedule? I am not very well rehearsed in all the different bad insects, and I don't want to let nature take it's course with predators because I will surely lose all my fruits and vegetables.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I think I still have some and it's a good brand. if I recall the label should talk about when, where and why. Typically all fertilizers, pesticides... are required to have this type of labeling. You should really be reading the information provided with the product for both effective use and safety.

Answers to some of your questions from a portion of the label which is also generally required to be on line...

http://www.montereylawngarden.com/d...0percent Neem Oil-(04)-2 column Bilingual.pdf

Application Instructions: 70% NEEM OIL is an effective fungicide for the prevention and control of various fungal diseases including powdery mildew, black spot, downy mildew, anthracnose, rust, leaf spot, botrytis, needle rust, scab and flower, twig and tip blight, and alternaria.

As a preventative, apply 70% NEEM OIL on a 7 to 14 day schedule until disease development is no longer present.

To control disease already present, apply 70% NEEM OIL on a 7 day schedule until disease pressure is eliminated. Then continue spraying on a 14 day schedule to prevent the disease from reoccurring.

To prevent rust leaf spot diseases, anthracnose and scab, begin applications at the first sign of spring budding.

To prevent powdery mildew, apply in mid-summer or when disease is first detected. Continue applications until disease pressure no longer exists.

Mixing Instructions: Mix 70% NEEM OIL at the rate of 2 tablespoons (1 fluid ounce) per gallon of water. Thoroughly mix solution and spray all plant surfaces (including undersides of leaves) until completely wet. Frequently mix solution as you spray

Ask a Question